The Dominion Thread

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

The Dominion Thread

Post by Merk » Mon May 09, 2011 10:08 am

If you've hung around the Indy folks you've probably seen or at the very least heard of a board game called "Dominion." This is the thread where we discuss this game!

Dominion is a board game for 2-4 players (2-6 with the Intrigue expansion) that is mostly an exercise in deck building. MTG fans will be immediately drawn to the game, as it seems to do a good job tickling the same pleasure centers as a good game of [popular collectible card game]. That said, Dominion is not a card game, it is a board game. You want proof? Too bad.

The core idea of Dominion is very simple. Each player is given the same starting deck, composed of seven "Copper" cards (currency) and three "Estate" cards (victory points). When the game begins, every player draws a five card hand - due to the fact that everyone has the same deck at this point, your hand is either going to be Three Copper/Two Estates, Four Copper/One Estate, Five Copper/No Estates, or Two Copper/Three Estates. Now what the fuck do you do with these cards, you might be wondering? The answer is simple - buy shit.

On your turn you are given two phases: an Action phase and a Buy phase. On your Action phase you are allowed to play a single "Action" card from your hand. However, you won't have any in your hand for at least two turns so you can safely skip this part. The Buy phase allows you to buy a single card from the Supply. The Supply where the magic happens - it's 17 piles of cards, including:

Currency: Copper (worth 1 money, costing 0), Silver (worth 2 money, costing 3), and Gold (worth 3 money, costing 6).

Victory Points: Estate (worth 1 VP, costing 2), Duchy (worth 3 VP, costing 5), Province (worth 6 VP, costing 8), and Curse (worth -1 VP, costing 0 Protip: don't buy these)

Actions: There are 10 Action cards of various cost and function chosen randomly from your entire collection (anywhere from 25 to 78, depending on how many expansions/promos you have).

So anyway, on your turn you buy shit with the money in your hand. Once you buy stuff, you put it in your discard pile, and then you discard the rest of your hand and all money spent/actions played. "But Merk!" you might protest. "If I discard shit I bought, how do I use it??? I'm dumb." Easy - once you run out of deck to draw from, you shuffle up your discard pile and start over. Through this constant shuffling your deck will (hopefully) be getting better and better cards added, and it also means anything you bought you won't see again for at least one more turn usually. Plan accordingly.

As for actually winning, it's pretty easy - you just gotta have the most points in your deck/hand/discard pile and the end of the game (which happens when either the Province pile is gone, or any three other piles are gone)! To get points, you buy Victory Point cards. but be careful!! If you buy them too early, they'll just be dead weight in your deck as you draw cards that don't do anything other than take up space. On the other hand, wait too long and you won't get jack. It's all part of the strategy.

Merk

Re: The Dominion Thread

Post by Merk » Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 am

If you're cheap like me and don't have any friends, you can play Dominion on the internet absolutely free of charge!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/

It takes literally less than a minute to get started. I am really bad at the game (I don't know what a lot of the cards do and how they synergize yet) but with time I hope to get better and maybe I'll one day beat fellow indyDDR poster, BigBadOrc.

So uh, strategy? Shall we tier cards? Do we want to plan games?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 09, 2011 11:59 am

lol these are retarded

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/comix.php

but they're silly. In a train wreck, "this guy has downs" sort of way.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon May 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Merk wrote:lol these are retarded

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/comix.php

but they're silly. In a train wreck, "this guy has downs" sort of way.
rof

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 pm

This is how you win a game of dominion

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/2 ... 79.html.gz

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Here's a snippet from BigBadOrc.

The game is over! (All Provinces are gone.)
BigBadOrc has 443 points (412 ▼, 5 Provinces, and an Estate) and took 26 turns.
Agent Fram has 22 points (3 Provinces, 3 Estates, 2 ▼, and a Curse) and took 25 turns.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 11, 2011 8:09 am

Game log? How the fuck do you get 412 points in 26 turns?

Like, I don't even know which card combination can give you that much.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 11, 2011 8:28 am

Per BadBigOrc: "well I had like 6 cities, 8 goons, and 8 king's courts. So if I king's court a king's court a king's court and get 8 goons in play I can buy like 20 coppers at +8 VP each"

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 11, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah wow that's brutal

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 am

Merk wrote:Yeah wow that's brutal