Xenoblade Chronicles [Wii]

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles [Wii]

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:47 am

I will answer any questions you have about game mechanics or quests. Don't go to Gamefaqs. Don't risk spoilering yourself.

Stay off the nets.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Great music so far. I like the bright lush world as of an hour or so in. However, this game is already giving me a headache lol. It looks SO bad on my TV. It's very very blurry especially when moving and it is super pixelated... looks like a very early PS2 game. I mean it doesn't help that it's on a 55" screen and using the red white yellow little analog cables, but I don't really wanna go spend another 20 bucks for component which will probably make it look marginally better for one game. It basically looks like a 3D movie when you're not looking through the glasses, that double-compounded blurry image. Oi. Maybe I'll suck it up and see if I can go find some cheap cables at Best Buy or something.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Yeah I was afraid that would happen =/ It really does suck balls that this is on the Wii and most people would agree with me.

You don't have a shittier TV that you could play this on? I didn't play this game on my ballin' ass TV so the Wii graphics didn't bother me so much.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/searc ... II&x=0&y=0

Ten dorrar cables, OR if you want to wait on backorder you can get some for like 3 dorrar.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Riot wrote:Great music so far. I like the bright lush world as of an hour or so in. However, this game is already giving me a headache lol. It looks SO bad on my TV. It's very very blurry especially when moving and it is super pixelated... looks like a very early PS2 game. I mean it doesn't help that it's on a 55" screen and using the red white yellow little analog cables, but I don't really wanna go spend another 20 bucks for component which will probably make it look marginally better for one game. It basically looks like a 3D movie when you're not looking through the glasses, that double-compounded blurry image. Oi. Maybe I'll suck it up and see if I can go find some cheap cables at Best Buy or something.
Wii games look much better in component. The cable is worth the investment. If you can wait, you can borrow mine.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:27 am

Meh just drove to Best Buy and found them for 30 bucks. Now, since I had already driven there I figured I'd just bite the bullet so I could play over the next few days without having to wait for shipping. Still, I feel like this is one of those things that should have been included with the system from the get-go, as it seems pretty basic. I figure it's worth having the cables though for this game and since I'll be picking up The Last Story over the summer. These will be the only two Wii games I have ever bought. Nintendo sucks.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm

It's funny how much this plays like other games you hate lol. It's exactly like FF11 and 12.

WHAT A BUNCHA JOKAS

Merk

Post by Merk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:57 pm

It is extremely similar to FF12 but it's much more streamlined and the story actually involves the main characters and not some nebulous factions that your party hardly interacts with.

IZ ROYN TOIME.

God the battle voiceovers are so catchy and well done.

How does the game look with component cables?

Merk

Post by Merk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:38 pm

OH! Shit, one thing --

If you're trying to get a rare item off an uncommon enemy, SAVE your game after killing it and then LOAD the game file you just saved. The monster will have respawned and you can kill it another time for another shot at the rare loot and you won't have to wait for them to respawn off their respawn timer. This helps immensely on some quests that require you to grab multiple rare items from the same type of enemy.

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:28 pm

I have never dicked around with Dolphin but you may want to give this a shot if you want to attempt at getting that sweet, sweet 1080p for this game.

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/show ... #pid169677

Testimonials say that it works fairly well. You can use an XBox controller if you'd like since this game doesn't use motion controls at all.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Just left Mark "Bionis' Leg" DeJarnett. Pretty big zone, very pretty. Watching this Fight For Youth tourney stream at the same time and watching Marn get his head shaved is funny. You guys should shave your heads for certain donation amounts for DDR A Thon. But not me, my hair is precious. It's my Monado.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 am

I haven't been playing a ton, but just got Melia. I hear she's pretty OP but I used her with player control and she's not good yet. I guess I need Copy and some other good spells. I'ma bench her for now. I don't really like magic in general anyways, so I was just trying her since everyone said she was good. I'll probably try Riki or Fiora later on when I get em. The whole Fiora thing was kinda obvious from the beginning, I didn't even see it on GameFAQs before piecing things together. I've played too many JRPGs to not have seen this coming a mile away. So yeah, I'm off to the Eryth Sea I believe. I'll probably play some right now!

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Welp I guess I am dumb because I figured she would be a bad guy or something after going all Mechon and I didn't think she would re-join!

Melia is good as shit but I didn't put her on point until a good couple of hours after I got her since I was boners for Shulk/Reyn/Sharla for the first half of the game. She's a bit unorthodox to use but she does hella damage once you slap some Electric Plus gems on her to buff up summon bolt which is what you'll be using as her main attack. Basically her attack flow goes like this:

Bolt -> Copy -> Flame -> Release element x3 -> Flame -> Release element -> Bolt -> Copy -> Whatever element you have that isn't in cooldown -> Release element x3 -> repeat

A lot of people used her for her Break -> Topple move but I just did pure casting since she's really, really fragile. SHE IS LIKE AKUMA WITHOUT DA DEMON FRIPS. You have to use Melia on point though since her AI is not all that effective. She and Riki are the two characters that are better when controlled by the player.

Riki is good too with his buffs and DoT skills. The beauty of this game is that everyone is really good and they bring their own unique little role and playstyle to the team.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Used Riki for awhile, but just got Summon Copy and Summon Wind and stuff, as well as the intermediate skill books for copy and bolt. I loaded Melia up with a +Electric gem and all +ether gems, so I'ma try her for awhile now. I have to go unlock two seals and head up to Prison Island.

I HOPE I DO NOT DIE!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:04 pm

You are almost halfway through the story!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 am

Beat the game last week. It was pretty good! I'm probably gonna play Nier next, but I'm also gonna play Chrono Cross again too I think since I never beat it and I love that game's music a lot.