Akai Katana: Cause unlike Diablo III, this game does work!

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Akai Katana: Cause unlike Diablo III, this game does work!

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed May 16, 2012 12:47 am

Diablo III looked pretty awesome when I played the beta, but the moment that Akai Katana was announced as coming out on the same day I canceled my D3 pre-order. In the meantime, the chance of getting a localized bullet hell shmup from Cave is too alluring for its own good so this month I'll get it and next month I'll go return to the world of Sanctuary.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Akai Katana: Cause unlike Diablo III, this game does work!

Post by Merk » Wed May 16, 2012 6:44 am

Okay thanks for telling us!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 16, 2012 7:50 am

Post some good gameplay vids. I want to see why this game is the shiz.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JlpiO0Hw5s (There are three different modes for this version, this is one made just for 360.)

Merk, just because you have the power of ten douchebags stored in your buddha belly doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. ;)
Memorable 2016 quotes:

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed May 16, 2012 4:06 pm

I don't see the relation or how an Asian shmup and Diablo 3 aren't exclusive of each other.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri May 18, 2012 2:21 am

The relation is that both came out on the same day as I mentioned in my first post. :roll:

Took a look at the game and it has three modes with each containing their own unique mechanics. The one downside is though that this will not have Red Mode, which was available in the PCBs they made for private collectors, but then again Climax Mode does make up for it by being just as hard. Given that Cave has been having a bit of a hard time recently I hope this does sell well so that more of their games can get localized.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon May 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Cave is retarded. Just because we never read English text vertically doesn't mean we can't read vertical shooters. It seems like they only let the horizontal (like two) games get localized. Unless Donpachi counts.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon May 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Actually, Cave is the only 360 developer who has made some of Japanese releases Region-Free (Espgaluda 2 Black Label, Mushihimesama Futari, Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets) and they also allowed Rising Star Games to set the region lock in DoDonPachi Resurrection to only be locked out in Japan (mainly to prevent reverse-importing) so this isn't completely their fault. There are a few issues mentioned that have made console releases painful for them. One of them is that for their region free releases they had to get clearance in all regions. Another issue was that while Deathsmiles did sell over 100,000 units in the US, Aksys Games did not really consider it enough to warrant further local releases. The only reason why Akai Katana happened was due to the positive reception DoDonPachi Resurrection received, which prompted Rising Star to start a US subsidary and team up with Aksys games for distribution.

In the interest of fairness, I will mention that while I do love Cave shmups, it was indicated that this game had a short development cycle and it does show. The scoring system ideas are sound, but both that and the bullet patterns are not as polished as they could be. Also, unlike other Cave shmups, this one does not have multiple variants of the levels (Examples of this is the three difficulty settings in Mushihimesama, the level settings in Deathsmiles, and the second loop in most DoDonPachi releases) or True Last Boss in the arcade incarnation. (The slash version of the game DOES have a TLB though and I haven't seen anybody pull off a no miss run against him.) Regardless of these downsides, this is still a fun release and it is definitely much better than Deathsmiles IIX.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue May 22, 2012 5:53 am

It was more of a joke out of an observation. I don't have a 360 so my only means of playing these is MAME anyways (I have Ketsui Death Label on my DS, though).
I actually wish more devs did this region free thing. Especially on the 3DS now, which I'm under the impression is possible, but no dev has decided to do it yet, which is unfortunate given there are definitely properties that have zero chance of being localized. The reason region-locking even exists among video games on consoles is the chance another publisher may want to localize and sell it in a different region. Basically, to give them a chance to make more money.
So it seems like Cave doesn't plan on their games getting localized. Not that I'm complaining, it'd just be nice if they released it for something I own. In fact, releasing a collection of their older games on Steam seems like a great plan. I bet they could do their localization in-house (or not at all) since the games aren't text heavy.

Merk

Post by Merk » Sat May 26, 2012 8:13 am

Amp I demand an apology, that was uncalled for.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Merk wrote:Amp I demand an apology, that was uncalled for.
An apology? :lol: That's funny.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 29, 2012 12:19 pm

How is that funny?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 29, 2012 12:57 pm

The very notion of your request for an apology was too far away from the truth. Since there was never any intention of giving an apology, he assumes you were making a joke. Sometimes an absurd statement or request can be funny!

Do you get it now?

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Dear world: use Steam

Of course this article is common sense to us.

Although, they'd probably have to fight Valve, I'm sure Cave's entire non-Japanese audience would throw some more money at 'em.
I'm kind of angry I can't buy Dodonpachi Resurrection and Espgulda II on my Android Tablet because it's a US based device. I might be able to spoof the country, but that's wayyyy too much effort.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed May 30, 2012 3:50 am

I'd love to see Cave games on Steam, but I have to think that Steam in Japan is mostly non-existent and while there are some doujin shooters that do well on PC, I don't know if the sales would be enough to recoup costs.
Memorable 2016 quotes: