Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

ummmmm Street Fighter V anyone???

Post by Merk » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:05 am

Teaser:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/ ... r-trailer/

Gameplay:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/ ... apcom-cup/

WHAT WE KNOW:

Not a whole lot! The game is PS4 and PC exclusive and will NOT be played on sexbox. Ryu has a Denjin Hadouken which means that one can infer that the story takes place after 3rd Strike. The gameplay video shows what is likely a guard break mechanic so there are signs that is some sort of effort being put into a different style of play compared to SF4. Stages are more dynamic and you can knock people through walls and shit, it's doubtful that this will have any impact on gameplay and is likely just fluff, SF3 and SF3: Second Impact had weird little stage transitions between rounds and this is likely very similar to that. Art style is similar to SF4 although things looked "grittier" in the gameplay trailer, the character models are essentially identical to their SF4 counterparts with a new coat of paint.

Other than that we know nothing of the game mechanics. Parries? Supers? Will ultras return? Will there be bullshit comeback mechanics? Character roster? Alpha Counters? This is sort of the most exciting time of a new game's announcement because no one knows what the fuck is going to happen and we can sit around and speculate and talk about our wishes for the latest entry in the Street Fighter series.

It took 10 years between 3rd Strike and SF4. It only took 5 between SF4 vanilla and SF5's announcement.

Fluffyumpkins

Re: ummmmm Street Fighter V anyone???

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:27 am

Why would the story need to take place later? Does Ryu's Denjin tie to some plot point?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:41 am

Ryu had Denjin in SF3 but he did not have it in SF4 - remember that SF4 was supposed to take place between SF2 and SF3 "storyline-wise." That's really the only indicator at the moment that the game takes place after 3rd strike but Capcom can always just say "fuck it" and give Ryu a Denjin for the sake of giving him a Denjin. The fact that Ryu has a Denjin though sort of begs the question of whether or not Gouken will be in the game and, if he is, will he also have a Denjin?

Man, I really hope that Capcom decides to go the SF3 route and have the cast be mainly new characters with interesting combination of previous character archetypes but I know that that will never happen again. There's too much risk in alienating people who are devoted to one character and it takes too much effort in building and animating a new character model from scratch when you can just take an old character's model and redo the textures.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:20 am

I'm really surprised about the xbone thing. Prolly gonna be some mad people.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:24 am

I'm wondering though because it's still hot on the heels of SF4 which is still being supported (being ported to PS4 now), that Capcom won't worry about alienating past fans and almost try to coexist. I pick up a lot of experimental things going on, some that look like they're out of SFxT, some out of Marvel, stuff that looks like power-ups or "styles" like Grooves.... Maybe appeal to a different crowd besides the SF4 fans because it'll still be somewhat relevant maybe?

I think it's smart about XB1. In Japan, XB1 is nonexistent. PS4 already has a market share in US as well, although it's slipping. Sony is directly involved in the financing now which means more development capabilities. It also unites the playerbase so it's not fragmented on different systems which makes tournies even easier as well.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah, it makes sense and is ultimately good in the long run for the community if the game is on a single console but God damn I'm sure Microsoft isn't happy

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:06 am

Well they got Killer Instinct as an exclusive, so I guess Sony wanted to play hardball.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Man, despite being 15 years old Third Strike is still a good looking game.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Random who-knows-how-trustworthy info from neogaf -

"Random informations, not sure if old or not :
- Unreal Engine 4
- Stage won't be static. They will load with random time of day and weather. Not entirely random though, not all stages will have all ToD nor weather conditions. Won't affect gameply, just to make stage look more evolutive and less static. Destructible stages.
- New system called V Trigger, not sure yet how much it will cost, if you can super or whatever, but will allow new stance, more offensive, ex attacks. Seems to double the hit on attacks. Really not sure about that though. Also, in trailer, Ryu does V Trigger combo and guard crush Chunli. Not sure if definitive.
- Capcom seems to really not like the dozen of release of the game (AE, Super, Ultra) they want a single strong brand name and update it from here
- They will work on a solo mod. They acknowledge SF4 was totally lacking here.
- Of course cast will be reduced but should have new comers at launch. Don't be surprise to see new characters from north africa, south america or south east asia, as capcom is targeting these new markets"

Also this: http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/09/yun-and ... ackground/ Fun to speculate at this point!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Watched remixed trailer from Capcom Cup. Here's what I get:

-Focus on "unique" characters so some kind of customization option probly in...
-Charlie is in the game.... showed his glasses and hair at the end (unless it's Wesker!!!!!11), but he had a thing on his forehead that looked like Urien??? Connection with Illuminati: Gill/Urien? Being controlled or something? Who knows.
-Looks like you can't be chipped to death? Blocking normals seems to do recoverable chip damage, so discourages turtling.
-Walk speed seems real slow as of right now. But pre-alpha build, so we'll see. Seemed a little clunky.
-Again, probably from early build, but moves seemed to hit harder, more recovery, etc. Seemed kinda footie ori3nted? Seemed too clunky though.
-You can knock bowls of noodles onto people's heads! lol... hopefully it staying on was a glitch
-Pretty sure I saw a parry? Maybe wishful thinking? Definitely looked like something, and maybe even a cancel type move to continue combo.
-Chun-Li has some weird Blanka slide move. Looks like people got some new stuff?
-"Revenge" meter and different stocks of EX that looked like it initiated a power-up mode. Chun Li threw double fireballs for instance. Revenge seems to be what lets you use Super, EX for EX moves and power-up moves... seems like supers can be comboed into so it's not as close to Ultras... more offensive.
-Destructible stage walls to travel between upon new rounds?
Also Capcom Cup went from $30,000 for first prize to $500,000 next year. Hot damn. We esportz.

actual trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_X2d7s ... _jbote4BKA

First gameplay: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/ ... -cup-2014/ comments are pretty interesting. Theorizing that instead of 3s parties it's like Just Defends in cvs2. Seemed to be different block animations and makes sense with the normals causing chip now. Hitstun seems a lot longer right now which is more what's causing it to look clunkier.

This is pretty good breakdown of the above gameplay trailer by LI Joe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVeKxgZReGo

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:15 am

Definitely looked like there was some sort of parry-like mechanic in there and that could be similar to the "Just Defend" mechanic from Garou: Mark of The Wolves. A Just Defend is basically a parry except you tap away from the attack instead of toward it making it slightly less risky.

Hitstun looked crazy and I'm positive it will be adjusted before release. There's no way they're going to let Ryu land a MP/HP that gives him enough hitstun to walk up to his opponent and do a combo.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Charlie is officially introduced as a character

M. Bison has been teased

Still no sign of any 3rd strike characters that aren't Ryu/Chun

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed May 20, 2015 12:33 pm

For Street Fighter fans, yesterday's reveal of M. Bison was the most important day in their lives... but for me, it was Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPou9RzeKM
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed May 20, 2015 1:04 pm

I enjoyed the irony of being served an ad for an XBONE game prior to watching that video. Then I joined the Tuesday camp.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 am

I don't get it, is "But for me, it was Tuesday" just another meme for uncreative people to spout off to show that they don't care and pretend they are funny? Riot made a comment on IRC the other day that there were so many (over 9000) "for me, it was a Tuesday" comments on the reveal video and I didn't get what all the fuss was about.