Dt:15
HtH:11

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:35 pm

*vomits*
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:38 pm

Unless they changed anything from the original Doom 3, theres no point in having an X Box version only post.
Has anyone played both? Are there any differences? I've beaten the hell out of the PC version and it's expansion, but I don't, and will not own an X box.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:49 pm

I know one thing that's changed; it can't be half as scary. One of the main reasons why I chucked out $50 for it is because of the way it looks and performs on a nice computer...It's swcary because it looks so nice I can play it for an hour and forget it's even a videogame. I had it hooked up to my bigscreen tv and my 5.1 system in the complete dark at 2:00 in the morning. You can't have surround sound or graphics that even touch computer level on an xbox. And you have to pay to play online.

I just hate when they try to take somewhat underground pc stuff and try to make it mainstream. I juts hate all these little console gamer kiddies, trying to act cool when they say "ooh look I just got that awsome brand new game doom 3!!" Well guess what, It's been out for over 6 months, and if your to ignorant to acknowledge that then you don't deserve to play it.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:08 pm

Xbox version adds Co-op over Xbox Live and System Link, and the levels have been tweaked to better suit the game to the Xbox. If you buy the Collector's edition, you also get ports of Ultimate Doom and Doom II.

I haven't bought the game yet, but I'm more or less obligated to since one of my friends was a playtester on it.

And Potter, the Xbox version has both surround sound and HDTV support so I don't really know what point you're trying to make there. And I'm not really sure what qualifies Doom 3 as "somewhat underground PC stuff" either since it was one of the biggest releases of last year.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:30 pm

xK1 wrote:And Potter, the Xbox version has both surround sound and HDTV support so I don't really know what point you're trying to make there. And I'm not really sure what qualifies Doom 3 as "somewhat underground PC stuff" either since it was one of the biggest releases of last year.

I wasnt really caling the game underground, just pc games themselves. PC Gaming isnt nearly as popular as console gaming. And i don't care if it has hdtv, show me a xbox that can render it in 1600x1200 with 8x AA, buddy.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:46 am

How do the graphics stand? I highly doubt X Box can render at the PC Doom 3's level, at least in comparison to other 'top of the line' games that have been released on X Box recently.
Also, if you turn down the resolution on the Doom 3 engine, it starts to look pixely, and that's no way to experience this game. :(

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:21 am

I've got to play a bit of this over the past couple days, and the game looks fine on the Xbox. It goes without saying that it will look better on a higher end PC, but for someone who can't afford a nice computer and related set up, it's looks good and is still very creepy.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed May 11, 2005 6:24 pm

I saw a couple screen shots, and some of the enemies looked 'shiney.'
Is that true?
This zombie I saw in the picture almost looked Halo-esque in it's shininess...and for the record, Doom 3 isn't shiney. There's only a few textures that have that effect, and they sure as hell aren't on the character models.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Wed May 11, 2005 7:33 pm

Doom 3 for CPU is good fun, even though I HATE FPSs for CPU. However, a friend of mine said that most people who play the X-Box version DL a mod that lets you mount your flashlight to your gun......and that gets rid of 100% of the challenge of the game.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed May 11, 2005 9:01 pm

Yeah, it does. There are parts of the game that are created specifically to challenge your flashlight/gun choice. Playing Doom 3 with that kind of mod eliminates 50% of the gameplay mechanics.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:13 am

The Flashlight mod is for the PC version, as far as I know there aren't any mods for the XBox one yet (it's quite possible that I'm wrong on that though).

I haven't noticed any particular "shiny" enemies, next time I play I'll let you know. I've been spending most of my XBox time on Forza Motorsport recently.

Vince
Standard
Standard

Post by Vince » Fri May 13, 2005 12:33 pm

I can't stand it when a good PC game gets ported to console. Honestly, some games are just MADE for PC, and vice-versa. For example, Unreal Championship stunk, but DE took a lesson and UC2 was a lot more console-oriented and a completely different game in comparison to UT04.

I have Doom3 for PC, but my graphics card prevents me from getting a respectable framerate (i can get 35ish) and I'll likely play through it once I finish building my new computer. Kinda don't even want to touch the XBox version, Halo 2 has grown old on me and the only thing that has kept me interested in it is the social aspect, playing with friends.
-Vince
"I was seein this real good lookin woman for about six weeks until somebody stole the binoculars out of my truck." ~Larry the Cable Guy

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri May 13, 2005 4:19 pm

Vince wrote:I can't stand it when a good PC game gets ported to console. Honestly, some games are just MADE for PC, and vice-versa. For example, Unreal Championship stunk, but DE took a lesson and UC2 was a lot more console-oriented and a completely different game in comparison to UT04.

I have Doom3 for PC, but my graphics card prevents me from getting a respectable framerate (i can get 35ish) and I'll likely play through it once I finish building my new computer. Kinda don't even want to touch the XBox version, Halo 2 has grown old on me and the only thing that has kept me interested in it is the social aspect, playing with friends.

OMFG> THANK YOU.

I sau this in every thread about a console game thats been ported and i get flamed just because theres a bunch of closed minded console gamers on here. Looks like we will get along :twisted:

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri May 13, 2005 4:21 pm

and btw 35 is a perfect framerate as long as it doesent drop when you start fighting/shooting at moving enemies. I also used to get around 35 until i got my x800 pro, Now i get like 60 in 1280x1024 with everything turned up.