Guild Wars!

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Guild Wars!

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:22 pm

If anybody plays this, I'm Riot Aldriss, currently level 6 War/Necro.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:35 pm

how is it? worth pickin up?
insert code compile execute return

Blaze
Standard
Standard

Post by Blaze » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:39 pm

I played that E3 online Beta thing, I wasn't too impressed. It was interesting and the graphics were nice, I just was kinda pissed that with in the first 5 minutes I had been pushed over and was walking on my back..stupid glitchy betas..

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:56 pm

I played WoW a LOT.... 650 hours in 5 months a lot (4-5 hours a day average time), and I just picked up Guild Wars and think I am going to give WoW a rest for awhile, or possibly sell my account if I can get enough for it. (I have uber stuff, gonna try to get $1000-ish for it).

So far Guild Wars is cool, but many will be thrown off by a level 20 cap. Since the whole MMORPG conception is that level cap = end game, people are turned off at first. However, when you hit the highest level, that's pretty much where the game begins. 2/3 of the PvE stuff is after you hit 20, and you go off then and go unlock all your skills and stuff (there are like 150 for each class). You can have a main class and then a secondary class and you can mix and match skills of each one to form different types of characters. Personally, I'm a W/Ne (Warrior / Necromancer) so I can hit hard and steal life. If I was a W/Monk I could heal myself and put buffs on. W/Elementalist, I could cast magic and enchant my weapons with for more damage, etc. etc.

The game is based a lot on PVP, so if you don't like it you probably won't like the end game very much. You form groups of 8 and there are a lot of awesome PvP events to do. There is no monthly fee, which a lot of people are happy about. As I said, I'm only level 6 (well 7 now) so I haven't experienced it all yet, but things are looking good. I'm a PvP-whore so I can't wait to start pwning newbz lolzolol.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:06 pm

hrm...i'm not a pvp fan...guess i'll skip this one

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:57 pm

Plus, Guild Wars is a non-subscription mmo. Buy the game, have internet/computer, and no more costs. I heard something about updates or such costing money though, care to verify?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:12 pm

From what I've heard, every six months or so they will release an expansion that costs $50 but adds as much content as is in the first game.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:53 pm

Which is a lot. The world is huge >_<

tang
Standard
Standard

Post by tang » Wed May 04, 2005 1:14 pm

I think I will pick it up :) I was skeptical, but it sounds good to me. Except the expansions every 6 months :/

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 04, 2005 5:03 pm

sam wrote:hrm...i'm not a pvp fan...guess i'll skip this one
In my PVP days from Asheron's Call, we called you folks carebears. This isn't a personal attack or anything, I'm just saying.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Wed May 04, 2005 6:11 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
In my PVP days from Asheron's Call, we called you folks carebears. This isn't a personal attack or anything, I'm just saying.
I remember Asheron's Call... I used to play on the PK servers with my circle mage, lol. Too funny to walk through a patch of newbies and drop a circle.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
dude ac was the best to pk in. i would cliff jump all the time...that was awesome.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 04, 2005 9:20 pm

Heh, I had my lvl 76 life mage on Darktide. I was kind of a drain whore, but I could war magic pretty well if I needed to.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Thu May 05, 2005 1:32 pm

i got eq2 instead...it's only $25 at gamestop.com

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu May 05, 2005 3:26 pm

EQ2 is icky. But good luck =P

I PVP'd a LOT in UO and WoW. I played AC for like 3 months and FFXI for almost 2 years as well. I really want to play UO again, that was the best game ever, but they totally screwed up that game when they catered to the carebears who didn't wanna get PK'd. That was my first online game, about 6 years ago when I was 12. I heard there are tons of player run servers around, but I'm not too sure about them or if any of them are good? If anybody knows anything, let me know.