Moderator: Moderators

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Re: WTB: DDR/ITG Cabinet

Post by Diamondback1996 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:19 pm

Amp Divorax wrote:
Diamondback1996 wrote:
Amp Divorax wrote:I am very interested. The main question would be getting a replacement I/O board. Also, I plan on yanking ITG from it and replacing it with something else.
Why do you want to crush my hopes and dreams?
Well, I'm not trying to intentionally, I am just interested in a DDR cabinet as well. (Sorry.) If anything we may benefit from you grabbing one since I already do own pump so I'll bow out of this respectfully.
Yeah, I was joking. Although I do appreciate that you're letting me take this one, thanks. :)

If I can't get this I'll PM you so you can get first dibs.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:21 am

Assuming the problem is the ITGIO board, would I be able to replace it with another ITGIO board and use it with oITG, or even SM5? I assume oITG works fine, but will I need a J-PAC/Pacdrive (for lights) or Minimaid for SM5 instead?

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:25 pm

zero7171 wrote:My loss is your gain! I am moving and my fiance is forcing me to sell my In The Groove arcade game. This is an upgraded Dance Dance Revolution Machine that was originally in the Jillian's arcade in Indianapolis. It is currently non operational as it needs a new I/O board. It has been sitting in a storage locker for more than a year in Columbus, Indiana. When it was put in storage the machine powered up, but was unable to get past I/O error. I am selling it in "as-is" condition and will not have the availability to power it up. You must figure out how to load and transport it.

$400 in "as is" condition
I am interested in buying this. I have sent you a PM about it.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 am

For those interested (Amp?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231582107341

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 am

Riot wrote:For those interested (Amp?):

No 4:3 arcade monitor. :(
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:59 am

Amp Divorax wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is that a problem for you because of authenticity, performance, ease of maintenance/compatibility, etc.?

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Riot wrote:
Amp Divorax wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is that a problem for you because of authenticity, performance, ease of maintenance/compatibility, etc.?
Performance is the biggest issue. Most LCDs don't handle older arcade games without considerable issues.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Does that matter more using official 573s? Like on my stepmania cabinet, would it not matter as much?

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Riot wrote:Does that matter more using official 573s? Like on my stepmania cabinet, would it not matter as much?
I prefer to focusing more on actually having a true arcade setup and not Stepmania.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:52 pm

I know, I get that, just wondering if the performance issue comes from newer monitors not being fully compatible with Konami's official equipment or just in general. Was more asking for myself god forbid my monitor ever conks out - if I had to get a replacement, what would be best considering I run Stepmania essentially.

I ran Extreme for a year and it was fun and all, but playing the same mix every day got old so I wanted some custom stuff personally.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Riot wrote:I know, I get that, just wondering if the performance issue comes from newer monitors not being fully compatible with Konami's official equipment or just in general. Was more asking for myself god forbid my monitor ever conks out - if I had to get a replacement, what would be best considering I run Stepmania essentially.

I ran Extreme for a year and it was fun and all, but playing the same mix every day got old so I wanted some custom stuff personally.
Well, there are still some CRT monitors that can be around, but expect to pay $500 for them. As for the LCD route, MonMotha can give more info on the good, the bad, and the ugly on that front than I can.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Man, that thing's been butchered. Being a Korean cabinet to start with, which are of generally inferior construction to the Japanese ones, it's probably barely worth the $750 in typical markets these days. Depends on the condition of the stage (everybody always says "it's good").

LCDs are pretty terrible for DDR in general. They're all widescreen, so you either have to stretch or live with barn doors on the sides if you want the right aspect ratio. It really throws me off to have it stretched, especially on double, since DDR's arrows already start off pretty big compared to, say, PIU. They also pretty much all lag, often quite a bit, unless you're VERY careful to specifically find one that doesn't. Most people who do this sort of hack job replacement don't bother. Contrast and response time is also typically iffy on low-end LCD monitors and TVs which is especially bad if you like playing with lots of high speed. Most of them also have serious trouble scaling the 480i RGB that the System 573 puts out if they can even do it at all.

VERY modern DDR (X and newer, but not really until X3) do support widescreen and can even take advantage of the higher resolutions as can Stepmania. Python 2 versions (SN and SN2) support 480p, but they still assume a 4:3 aspect monitor. They also usually have some degree of support for adjusting the display to compensate to the degree possible for display lag. Setting it all up can be a pain. Stepmania is already hard to deal with if you want it to actually work correctly and reliably.

You can actually still buy new "crate" 27/29" arcade monitors for the time being. They're actually fairly cheap by historic standards at ~$500 + shipping. It's getting tough to find them that'll handle 480i (15kHz), but most of them will do 480p (31kHz) or even higher and so support modern versions well enough. Build quality is usually so-so but varies depending on make/model. I don't know how long this situation will continue since, AFAIK, nobody is making new CRTs anymore. All the monitors being sold are using NOS tubes. It's also usually possible to repair old monitors when they break.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Yeah the only frame of reference I have is playing Stepmania on my PC back in the day, but that was with my fingaz. Dunno if it's be weird a bit farther back and on my feet. Hopefully my monitor will last and I won't have to worry about this!

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Saw that cab on Facebook. Apparently there's some drama since the creators of that specific bootleg said not to sell it or use it in pay mode or something.

Also, to bring this back to the first cab, it looks like this guy's not going to sell it after all. It's been a month since he posted here.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Completely unrelated question for Brandon: are you still making Minimaids? Just saw FB thread where multiple people were looking to buy them.