Tricoro

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Tricoro

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:09 pm

I wonder if arcade collecting is more common in Indianapolis than in other cities. Housing is relatively cheap, but you still have a high concentration of people. Riot has no excuse for not owning a fighting game cab.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I wonder if arcade collecting is more common in Indianapolis than in other cities. Housing is relatively cheap, but you still have a high concentration of people. Riot has no excuse for not owning a fighting game cab.
Problem is why would I need a fighting game cab when I have everything on Xbox with a better TV and better joysticks.

It would be cool for the novelty I guess, but the only feasible one to get would be like Third Strike probably.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Riot wrote:Problem is why would I need a fighting game cab when I have everything on Xbox with a better TV and better joysticks.

It would be cool for the novelty I guess, but the only feasible one to get would be like Third Strike probably.
Clearly you haven't played on a modern Japanese fighter cabinet.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Ho wrote:
Riot wrote:Problem is why would I need a fighting game cab when I have everything on Xbox with a better TV and better joysticks.

Well they only have Street Fighter 4 cabinets, they don't make Marvel 3 cabs or anything. And all the joysticks I have are really nice Sanwa buttons/sticks and arcade parts anyways. I'm pretty sure a 55" plasma with no input lag is better than an arcade monitor too.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Riot wrote:
Ho wrote:

Well they only have Street Fighter 4 cabinets, they don't make Marvel 3 cabs or anything. And all the joysticks I have are really nice Sanwa buttons/sticks and arcade parts anyways. I'm pretty sure a 55" plasma with no input lag is better than an arcade monitor too.
That's true. It'd be cooler to own something that has some kind of unique hardware or interface.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:10 pm

I don't think MVC3 had an arcade release, but they definitely had much more than just SF4 in cabinets the last time I was out in Japan. I'd imagine the joysticks and buttons would be comparable or even identical to what you've got (and certainly could be replaced, if desired). And those monitors, while not as large, are pretty darn good. Also, the cabinets themselves are pretty attractive, if I do say so myself.

I do agree that there is a lot less reason (from a gameplay standpoint) to want a cabinet for a fighter vs. something like DDR where the physical experience is so markedly different. However, I do think there is something to be said for the cabinet setup with the monitor close and at a nice angle and the controls solidly mounted into a deck that's not going to move under rigorous play.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:51 pm

It would certainly but fun, but a novelty that I'd only use whenever people came over (which is rarely). Plus nobody likes to play fighting games with me! Woe is meeeeee.

Still want a DDR machine but I'd have to put it in a guest room and it probably wouldn't be very feasible! I WISH I could put it up on my loft area upstairs but I would probably break the house. Some kind of arcade would be cool up there though since that's the only space of my house that I don't feel like we're really utilizing to its potential. Don't wanna deal with high costs and shipping though siiiigh. One of you should get bored with yours and sell it to me on the cheap!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 pm

DDR machines *are* cheap now. I routinely see them sell (or even not sell) for $1500-2000. Shipping should be < $600. If it's within about a one or two state radius, you can probably rent a truck and pick it up yourself for $300-400.

I've always been reluctant to put something like a DDR machine on the upper level of a house. Residential floor joists should be able to take the weight (remember waterbeds?). It's the jumping around on them that seems like it may be asking too much in the long run. But I'm no engineer. It might work. But there are plenty of non-jumpy games you could put in a loft that would be both a good and safe use of that space. :)

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Yes well cheap to you is probably not cheap to me. I'm sure you probably make triple what I make! Still, the prices aren't bad for a DDR machine I suppose. I'd just be worried about maintenance and fixing stuff since I don't have any know-how with hardware stuff for the most part. If a place in Fort Wayne should ever decide to get rid of their machine I'd seriously think about it but all the assembly/moving it and stuff stresses me out just thinking about it.

I should get

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:46 pm

I was saying "cheap" in the sense that they are currently selling for historically low prices. I paid $4700 for mine at the beginning of 2003 and I considered that to be lower than average at the time. At the peak of its popularity, I saw used machines selling for as much as $8000-9000. So with machines currently selling for as low as $1500, I will call it cheap.

I highly doubt I make triple what you make. I probably make less than double what you do unless teachers are even more shamefully underpaid than I think they are. I am not anywhere near as rich as people seem to think I am. I just choose to spend on different things than most.

As for moving, assembly, and maintenance, there are plenty of resources out there to help you. And since private, home ownership is fairly commonplace at this point, many of those resources are quite approachable and happy to help out a fellow community member.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:41 am

I make like 35 or 36k as a 3rd year teacher.... Baller cash obviously. And the best part is now there is a bunch of new regulations and laws that make more hoops to jump through via daily observations and a huge checklist of things to even QUALIFY for a small raise per year! I'm guessing you make at least double! But you don't have to share if you don't want to.

I would just have to hire a big burly man like Chad to move everything for me.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:17 am

I'm not sure why it's culturally taboo to talk about salaries.

I do, in fact, make less than twice what you do... < $60k. I honestly don't remember the exact number.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Ho wrote:I'm not sure why it's culturally taboo to talk about salaries.

I do, in fact, make less than twice what you do... < $60k. I honestly don't remember the exact number.
The only people who stand to lose from this knowledge being public are those who write the checks. If one were to buy a modest home and eschew children, there's no reason we couldn't collect nice things.

Riot, you are a white male. The world is your oyster. I am your pearl.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:43 pm

buy a modest home -- CHECK!
eschew children -- CHECK!

collect nice things -- CHECK! I suppose it's a matter of opion, but at least I think some of them are nice.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 am

Riot, easy solution, move the downstairs guest bed to the upstairs room you aren't using and then turn the now vacant guest room into your DDR room.