Official Sponsored PIU tournament in Louisville! (6/24)

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Official Sponsored PIU tournament in Louisville! (6/24)

Post by Jason Dread » Sat May 13, 2006 2:18 am

I'll post full details at a later time, but here is everything that should be relevant for the time being:

When: Saturday, June 24th
Where: Renaissance Fun Park in Louisville
Mix: This tournament will be on ZERO, and the pads will be in near perfect (if not perfect) condition.
Divisions: There will be Hard, Crazy, and Freestyle. Hard will have bar allowed whereas Crazy will allow bar for half the tournament (details to soon follow)
Prizes: A percentage of what gets brought into each division as well as official Andamiro swag. Yes - this WILL be sponsored.

That's the most of it I can think of at the moment. I will give full details on the rest soon.

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Mon May 15, 2006 9:58 pm

Saturday 24th, 2006

Renaissance Fun Park
201 Park Place Drive
Louisville, Kentucky
(502) 253-9700

First off – no, this tournament is not supposed to interfere with Million Man Lan which is also taking place that weekend, in fact, during the days I’m told there isn’t too much going on, so why not spend an afternoon playing on a Zero machine? The machine will be on Freeplay from the time I get there until the time I leave (which undoubtedly will be after most everyone else). There should be a good amount of unlocks on the machine for those who haven’t been able to play those missions or Another steps that you’ve always wanted to try. Three tournaments are going to be run that day, whether concurrently or consecutively I am still debating, but those three will be Hard, Crazy, and Freestyle. I will be receiving some Andamiro swag a week or two before the tournament, so until then I won’t know the specific prize package, but expect prizes such as t-shirts, a jersey, posters, mouse pads, necklaces, and any other odd Andamiro swag they could put their label on. All of these prizes are not available for purchase and can only be won through tournaments. Not only will sponsored prizes be on the line, but a portion of the total entry collected (percentage currently being pondered) will go back to the 1st and 2nd place winner of Crazy, and 1st place only of Hard. Freestyle will be only sponsored prizes.

Details broken down mode by mode:

Hard Mode Tournament
Format: Single Elimination, 2 out of 3 song format.
Bar Rule: Bar IS allowed
Song Selection: Limited song selection of 5s and over. You may only pick a song once for the tournament.
Finals: The Finals will be a best three out of five song set picked from any Hard song rated level 7 and higher.
Qualifier: This will be seeded completely at random.
Matches: Higher seed gets to pick pad side and song, upon completion of that song, the lower seed will get both choices. If a tiebreaker is needed, the song will be chosen at random from all song valid in the initial song selection.
Scoring: Higher score between the two players takes the round. If the score is tied, a win counts for both players

Crazy mode
Format: Double Elimination, 2 out of 3 format.
Bar Rule: Bar is allowed ONLY UNTIL there are only 8 people left in the winner’s and loser’s bracket combined. From then on the tournament will be no bar and will be enforced strictly. Any unnecessary touch of the bar with hands/arms not believed by the judges to keep the player from falling or from injury will be penalized as follows:
1st touch – 10% off from final score
2nd touch – 25% off
3rd touch – Automatic DQ from the current match.
Song Selection: For the Crazy mode tournament only, the song selection will continue to get smaller and smaller as time progresses. Every 2-3 rounds a the lowest level available to be picked will be eliminated from the tournament. All songs rated level 11 and up will be available to be picked initially, and after a couple rounds, only 12s and up are allowed, and that cycle will continue until only 15s and up are available to be picked. I will give an exact schedule of this in a day or two.
Finals: The Finals will be a best three out of five song set picked from any Hard song rated level 15 and higher
Qualifier: To be announced one or two weeks before the tournament. The song will be a level 11-12 song. Qualifier position will be based upon the score of the song.
Matches: Higher seed gets to pick pad side and song, upon completion of that song, the lower seed will get both choices. If a tiebreaker is needed, the song will be chosen at random from all song valid in the initial song selection.
Scoring: Highest score takes the round. In the event of a tie, the song counts for both players.

Freestyle
Format: One song only.
Song Selection: Any song available on Zero, on any mode.
Matches: A random order will be determined for the participants. They will play their choice of song and will be judged by a panel of three who will base their scores from a scale to be laid out very soon. Each player will have his/her score totaled from all three judges and the one with the highest score is obviously the winner.

Prize distribution by division:

Crazy:
1st Place – Cash and Andamiro Prizes
2nd Place – Cash and Andamiro Prizes
3rd Place – Andamiro Prizes

Hard:
1st Place – Cash and Andamiro Prizes
2nd Place – Andamiro Prizes

Freestyle:
1st Place – Andamiro Prizes
2nd Place – Andamiro Prizes

Yet to Come
Exact songlists for Crazy and Hard Tournaments.
Scoring Breakdown for the Freestyle tournament.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon May 15, 2006 10:17 pm

What's the entry fee?
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Tue May 16, 2006 1:59 pm

TENTATIVELY
Hard - $5
Crazy - $7
Freestyle - $3

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Mon May 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Here's an update -

Pricing:

Crazy - $7
Hard - $5
Freestyle - $3

Here’s the breakdown of when certain level songs will be eliminated, and when the no bar rule will be in effect (Crazy only). The Tournament schedule for Crazy. The notice of a song limit change takes effect at the beginning of said round:

Hard
1st Round
2nd Round (Only 6’s and over)
3rd Round (Only 7’s and over)

Crazy
1st Round Winners
2nd Round Winners
1st Round Losers (Only 12’s and over)
2nd Round Losers
3rd Round Winners
3rd Round Losers (Only 13’s and over)
4th Round Losers (The NO BAR policy goes into effect this round)
5th Round Losers
4th Round Winners (Only 14s and over)
6th Round Losers
5th Round Winners (Only 15’s and over)
Finals

So now the only things left are for me to find the most accurate scorecard/way to judge the freestyle competition, as well as post the percentage of the cash the winners of Hard/Crazy will be taking home. I doubt most are really waiting on this, so I'll take my time with the final results of that.

Harleigh RVNG
Standard
Standard

Post by Harleigh RVNG » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:49 pm

So how exactly will it be determined wich person gets placed in wich difficulty?
I press UR, UL, DL, DR, UR.... it's a spin...

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:22 pm

I made the suggestion of having a general qualifier. Those who get above a certain score, will be asked to move up to the Crazy division. I don't know if that's how it will be done though.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:23 pm

I dont think that would work...

some one could be good at hards (say like they can S most) but then cant do anything with crazys.
But if you had a crazy song someone could cheat...

Of course though I dont know anything about tournaments! ^_^

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm leaving division placement to the individuals participating. I trust 99.99% of people would enter the proper division, but just in case I'm withholding the right to deny entry into Hard division if necessary.

Here's the last bit of info: The Freestyle Tourney score breakdown.

30% - Creativity - how much thought was put into your routine?
10% - Grade - S=10,A=8,B=6,C=4,D=2,F=0
30% - Performance - execution baby, all about execution
15% - Skill - how much skill was put into your power moves
15% - Dance - Did your routine flow and did it look like you were actually dancing?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:07 am

Your encouragement last night has prompted me to add this event to my calendar. But what time does it start? Given the travel time involved with getting there, this could be an important factor for me. ;)

Harleigh RVNG
Standard
Standard

Post by Harleigh RVNG » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Well, yea... I think I will show up... I know I won't stand a chance in the crazy tourny... BUT YOU'RE MAKIN' ME! Oh well, after getting C on Canon-D Full mix i guess i expect no less, I can't wait!

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:13 pm

I just noticed I forgot the time.

I highly suggest being there at noon. Tournaments should be starting around 1pm.

Harleigh RVNG
Standard
Standard

Post by Harleigh RVNG » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:07 pm

well, the tournament was amazing! So much pressure as Jason and Johny are tied up at the end... JASON IS THE WINNER! Congrats Jason, seriously, that was amazing!

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 am

Yes, much fun indeed. Congrats to all the winners!

Now to let my hands recover...
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:23 pm

Results!

Hard
Brian Ho from Noblesville, Indiana
2nd: Bloody Riot from Lexington, Kentucky

Crazy
Jason Dread from Louisville, Kentucky
2nd: Jonny from (damn I forget), West Virginia
3rd: Yohei from Louisville, Kentucky

Freestyle
Aston martin from Cincy, Ohio
2nd: Brian Ho from Noblesville, Indiana

The tournament ran smoothly and pretty effortlessly. Thanks to everyone from out of state that came out! The 3 out of 5 Finals format turned out to work very well and will probably be used in subsequent tournaments down the line.