DDR-A-THON 6

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Gallonigher
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gallonigher » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:42 pm

I agree w/ elgolem, that we need to focus more on the fact that this is a charity-raising event, not a gaming session.

And yeah, I'll be there. I've improved my game a lot since the last DAT (Standard-steps n00b). Thank you Stepmania!

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 pm

well pump or no pump, ddr or no ddr,you can expect me to show up and do my best to raise money up here as i always do just give as much notice as possible so i can get the days off.
Warning incoming game!

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:21 pm

Gallonigher wrote:I agree w/ elgolem, that we need to focus more on the fact that this is a charity-raising event, not a gaming session.

you people are going to keep using that logic until ddrathons are a bunch of indyddr members standing on a street corner with signs and donation buckets
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm

Potter wrote:
Gallonigher wrote:I agree w/ elgolem, that we need to focus more on the fact that this is a charity-raising event, not a gaming session.

you people are going to keep using that logic until ddrathons are a bunch of indyddr members standing on a street corner with signs and donation buckets
Hey if it will get more money for Riley I would do it

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:40 am

Potter wrote:

He's right on. All of you folks that insist we can raise money by bringing pump, playing less games, ect. had better be busting ass raising donations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:05 am

lgolem wrote:
Potter wrote:

Hey if it will get more money for Riley I would do it

robbing a bank would get more money for riley, go do it
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:51 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Potter wrote:

He's right on. All of you folks that insist we can raise money by bringing pump, playing less games, ect. had better be busting ass raising donations.
As I see it, over the history of the DAT more and more emphasis has been put on bringing more games and having more tournaments. The fund raising aspect has taken a backseat, moved to the trunk, and then hitched to a trailer in the back. At DAT5, it really felt like it was nearly lost altogether.

The original DAT was at Washington Square Mall. It was a comparatively informal event. But many people took it upon themselves to collect donations from people in the mall. The result was our first--and still best--fundraising effort ever.

The subsequent DATs were at LazerLite, a closed venue. It was to be expected that donations would be lower because there simply weren't as many people to collect from. Still, a number of people went out and got donations before the event and put forth a lot of effort at the event to get donations from the small audience we had. Totals were lower--but still quite respectable.

I had high hopes for last year with the event moving back to a high-traffic mall. However, I can't remember seeing anyone even bothering to hold a bucket. The donation total was only around what we were getting at LazerLite even though I know we often had crowds of onlookers that rivaled--even surpassed--the ones we saw at Washington Square so long ago. Everyone was too caught up in tournaments, arguing over where they were in line, complaining about the lines, etc., etc., ...and even fighting with each other!

I'd almost prefer collecting donations at a street corner over some of the aspects of last year's DDR-A-THON. At least I'd be assured that the people standing alongside me actually gave a damn! Parts of last year were downright appalling and a real slap in the face to Jim who has worked so hard to organize this event every year.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:33 am

Ho wrote:I'd almost prefer collecting donations at a street corner over some of the aspects of last year's DDR-A-THON. At least I'd be assured that the people standing alongside me actually gave a damn! Parts of last year were downright appalling and a real slap in the face to Jim who has worked so hard to organize this event every year.
amen
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:54 am

I bet that if each of us put in a little effort, we could blow the first DAT figure out of the water.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I bet that if each of us put in a little effort, we could blow the first DAT figure out of the water.
I would love to see it!

And you're absolutely right. The fact is that last year we raised some money pretty much in spite of ourselves. Just imagine what even a half-assed effort could produce.

Better yet, I'd love to see us really pull together and do something amazing! It would remind me why I was so excited about supporting and growing IndyDDR in its early years. We are an amazing group of people that has been and still can be an outstanding community that can do great things.

And I'm not just talking about charity work... IndyDDR began as a network of friends. I think its greatest value is realized if it continues to bring people together to form and expand friendships.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Ho wrote:Better yet, I'd love to see us really pull together and do something amazing!
I just had an idea.

At DAT, bring paper, construction cards, and etc, and we should all personally make get-well cards to the kids?

Just a thought. Money is great, but a personal touch really adds something.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:29 pm

yeah personal touch would be great, i dont think hospitals can give out patients names due to hipaa or whatever
ill text them after i paypal my donation and play all my tourney runs on smo while posting about it on my blog and taking myspace pics
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Another suggestion:

Would it be possible to get a bigger/better sign? Last year we just had the one sign, which I'm sure a lot of people walking past didn't even see. I'm sure if we had something easy to see that said "benefit for Riley Children's Hospital" on it, it would help with donations as well. Perhaps some sort of banner or something?
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:05 pm

WhiteDragon wrote:Another suggestion:

Would it be possible to get a bigger/better sign? Last year we just had the one sign, which I'm sure a lot of people walking past didn't even see. I'm sure if we had something easy to see that said "benefit for Riley Children's Hospital" on it, it would help with donations as well. Perhaps some sort of banner or something?
Yeah I thought of that to... I thought about seeing if Riley had a banner, cause they have signs and all for charity events, thought if they had a long enough to rig up a setup so that it goes above the DDR machine

so when they look at the DDR machine as people are playing it they see a big banner :D

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:50 am

IU's library gives students the ability to print HUGE (read: 10 x 3') high quality, glossy-papered posters with any designs on them. If we come up with a banner design, plotting it out will be simple, and I'll gladly make that happen.