Baron of the Bemani Bordello: July 23rd is a gogogogo

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Baron of the Bemani Bordello: July 23rd is a gogogogo

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 pm

I had this idea stew in my head Saturday night while watching Dexter. Obviously, this is merely a suggestion, but all this competition talk lately as got me hankering for some Bemani afternoon delight. Here's what I'm proposing:

Let's have a weird little Bemani Olympics at Brian's house. Everybody who participates competes on one song (chosen at random) on each Bemani game one time. After everyone plays, we'll compare everyone's scores against each other for that particular game. We'll do points Mario Kart style where first gets 3, second gets 2, third gets 1, and everyone else gets zero. After all games are played, the person with the most points wins, the winner gets to pick where we all go to lunch/dinner.

For example, We do a random song selection on IIDX and Colors get selected and the EX scores go as follows:

1100 - Amp
1078 - Daniel Renner
1045 - Merk (because he just can't win)

Thus, Amp now has a score of 3, Daniel has 2, Merk 1, and everyone else has none.

Now, we move on to Keyboard Mania and Pink Rose gets selected. The Perfect count scores go as follows:

125 - Ho
100 - Merk
75 - Amp

Ho now has 3, Merk now has 3, and Amp now has 4. Everyone else has none except for Daniel who has 2.

We finish out each game in a similar fashion and when Daniel Renner inevitably wins he'll tell us that we're going to some Korean place for dinner! Yay!

Ties are bound to happen, in the event of a tie the tied players will score attack Pac-Man to determine a winner.

Difficulty level (light, standard, heavy, normal, hyper, another, etc) will be agreed upon by all participants for each game. This is a gentlemen's competition and we'll accommodate even the most fledgling players.

In games where there is no random song select, each player will verbally pick a number between 1 and 20 with no two numbers being picked consecutively. For each number we will move the song select cursor either right or left for each number verbalized. So let's say 15, 7, 13, and 4 are picked. We'll move the cursor to the right 15 spaces, left 7 spaces, 13 right, and 4 left. Whatever song gets highlighted is the song that we'll all play. I like to call this collective randomization!

WHO: Anyone who wants to play.
WHAT: A fancy way of combining hanging out, eating, and playing music video games.
WHERE: Brian's Bemani Bordello. This is really the only feasible place to hold this.
WHEN: At Brian's convenience. Preferably on a weekend.
WHY: Because sometimes you need someone to tell you where to go to lunch. But that person needs to earn that right!
HOW: With the help of all your internet friends.

Meh. Let me know what you think.
Last edited by Merk on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Baron of the Bemani Bordello

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Neat idea. My only 'meh' is that we'd have to hear the same song over and over in essentially an unending qualifier.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:56 pm

The beauty of this is that we can play the games concurrently. Brian has 8 Bemani games (we'll include Pump because we're gay). If we have 8 people or less we can feasibly get the whole thing done in however long it takes to play 8 songs. Hopefully random selection won't cause the same song to be played on two different games.

What would be awesome is if we just played The Least 100 Seconds on each game because we can. At least, I think Sirius and Pop'n have the song in 'em.

BOOM-DA-DOOM-BA-DOOM! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-diggi-diggi-diggi-digg-diggi-diggi-diggi-diggi-bigguh-da-doom-ba-boom-boom-dig-a-doom! Shocka-docka-frigga-frocka-free-bo!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Sounds like a good idea for a fun event. As mentioned before though, Daniel will probably win with ease.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 am

You know, the beauty of this event would be that the expected winner would be fairly up in the air. Daniel has a great chance of winning but I don't think he'll run away with it. Let's assume the following player pool:

Amp
Daniel
Merk
Ho
MonMotha
Fluffy
WhiteDragon
Some random dude

I'm guessing the games will go down as such:

DDR:
Daniel
Amp
Fluffy

Pump:
MonMotha
Daniel
WhiteDragon

DanceManiax:
Ho
MonMotha
WhiteDragon

IIDX:
Amp
Merk
Daniel

Pop'n:
Amp
Ho
Merk

KeyboardMania:
Daniel
Merk
Ho

DrumMania:
Merk
Daniel
MonMotha

GuitarFreaks:
MonMotha
Merk
Some random dude

For final scores of:

Daniel - 11
Merk - 10
MonMotha - 9
Amp - 8
Ho - 6
WhiteDragon - 2
Fluffy - 1
Some random dude - 1

At least that's how I see this playing out. There's enough variance in skill that I believe that the top four could go in any order.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 am

Brandon is generally better at pop'n than me and I am generally better at DM than him. And I didn't think either you or Daniel were especially good at KBM...not that I am either, but I'm guessing I simply have more experience with it than anyone else.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 am

Daniel, where would you like to eat?

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 am

Ho wrote:Brandon is generally better at pop'n than me and I am generally better at DM than him. And I didn't think either you or Daniel were especially good at KBM...not that I am either, but I'm guessing I simply have more experience with it than anyone else.
Hell yeah we used to have a KBM at Tokens 'n' Tickets back in the day and I played it all the time between DDR sets. I got decent enough to pass like 3 star songs on Real mode. Daniel probably played it a bunch as well and probably played the piano for serious at some point in his life.

You see, this is why this event would be neat, there's enough variance that each game would not be a runaway.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 am

I can actually pass some 5 star songs on Real. I don't know how well I score at that point, but I can pass.

I don't know that I've ever seen you play it. I've seen Daniel play it, but I didn't really note how well he was doing. But I guess he was doing fine given that he kept playing. Most people struggle through a song and then just give up.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan in the world of KBM so if I'm given the option to play KBM or IIDX and DM I'll take the latter. But man, it was certainly fun to play when all we had were Extreme, KBM, or a shitty GF 2nd mix. I am impressed by your alleged KBM prowess, Mr. Ho.

It's a shame KBM got discontinued in a way. Playing the actual keyboard is meh but man, if you can play it in a video then it's fucking awesome. I am a poster child of what's wrong with youth today.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 am

Well, Brian, would this be something you'd be interested in holding sometime mid July? You're gone early July and we'll be gone the last week of July.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 am

Interested? Sure.

I can't commit to right now though. My schedule has been packed pretty solid lately and I'm still admiring the current emptiness of that particular timeframe. Give me a little bit to decide if I'm going to be burned out or still raring to go by then and I'll make a call.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:25 am

Yeah daz coo. I know how much you hate competition so I didn't know if this event was just a pipedream or if I can actually get a boner for it when the time comes.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Who said I hated competition?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Ho wrote:Who said I hated competition?
Merk did.