DAT X

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

DAT X

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

I know this is probably taboo for me to bring this up all things considered but, has there been any progress made on this or have people lost interest? The Christmas season is coming up and people try to be in a giving mood around this time so it may be worthwhile to try and exploit that market. I'd be okay with doing something like a easily planned DAT 9.5 in Circle Center with Tilt over the holiday and then doing a full blown DAT X in Bloomington as a send off for Daniel and GXS when they close next calendar year, we can pretty much autopilot these events and even if we get something miniscule like $2,000 per event then that's more than what we've gotten in previous years.

Of course we're probably cutting things a little close at this point.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: DAT X

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am

You guys probably saw Malictus' post on Facebook but it looks like GXS may be closing sooner than expected. Are we going to do anything for a send off?

I don't mean to imply that we do a DAT or anything there but we should do one last hurrah since they've been so nice to us in the past.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:56 pm

That was the point of his post. Last I saw, Jim was targeting something in January.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Brian you have just about 100% of the clout in the community so you need to tell Jim a date and it will happen assuming the world doesn't end and Daniel doesn't die or something.

January 18th, as far as I know, is looking like a weekend where no one would be doing anything.

1st and 7th of December would be too soon to get any significant number of peeps
14th is a possibility
21st is a travel weekend for Christmas peeps
28th is another travel / party weekend for New Year's
Jan 4th is a maybe but oftentimes people are busy with work shit / getting fired this time of year.
Jan 11th is MAGfest
Jan 18th starts a lull period where no one is really doing anything

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm down for letting Jim plan it since he's local. It'd be nice to give Daniel some sort of physical thank you gift, but I'm not sure what that might be. Scrap book? Plaque? Gift card? What do you guys think?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Scrap book.

Plaque seems less personal.

Daniel is rich as hell and doesn't need a gift card.

Chad, didn't you message Daniel before about doing something like this?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Yeah, but Jim has more up-to-date information than I do and is also local. He'd be better off planning something.

What about a yearbook style scrapbook? We can print a bunch of photos from tournaments, DAT, and general gatherings. Add a few kind words from people and Daniel will have something that captures the memories of the arcade from the community's view. Thoughts?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:16 pm

That would be fun! We could all sign it before giving it to Daniel and give our own personal little send off. I like this idea.

We could go balls out and have a bunch of pictures each with their own little captions.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:23 pm

He came. He saw. He conquered. Out of towners like Rico surprised us all by winning Indiana's first ever Beatmania IIDX tournament on an actual arcade cabinet.

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 am

Sooooo yeah?

I told Jim on FB to make this thing happen on the 18th but I haven't heard shit since. As you can plainly see I'm the last comment on his little status update regarding this and as far as I know there isn't some super secret FB event that I mysteriously haven't been invited to. Does anyone know if we're going to do something or should we plan?

If we're actually wanting to do something let me know because I have a feeling we need a month's notice to arrange shit with peeps and I only have so much time in Bloomington and Jim sure as fuck only has so much time to hobnob with Daniel at the arcade. Daniel does NOT work the late shift and generally heads out around 4:00pm or so. As far as I know he does not work weekends. If we are going to do something we actually, physcially, need to tell him that we are planning to give him a gift so he does't go home to his wife and children and we show up with a scrapbook and no Daniel to give it to.

Jim can do all the planning, I don't give a fuck, this isn't about me trying to be the center of attention or some shit. I legit want Daniel to feel like there was a community he was a part of and a handful of fucking nerds on the internet that he provided a venue for so they could raise money for sick kids. I really don't want this to fade into nothingness.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Jim said he was shooting for January.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Hell yeah!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't have any inside information. He said possibly January 12th or 19th right in the thread you're talking about. He also said he'd post an event once he had a chance to talk to Daniel about it. Learn to read, please.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Brian I'm sorry for everything I've ever said about anything.

Forgive me, please.