Pictures in the sigs

Post your comments, suggestions, questions, etc. about IndyDDR.com here. Also use this forum to report issues or get help with the site.

Moderator: Moderators

Merkip
Standard
Standard

Pictures in the sigs

Post by Merkip » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:42 pm

How do i add pictures in the Signatures? I forgot about it :?
Why dont you go practice spittin out teeth, ill be there in a second...

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:07 pm

you need to use image tags to post a sig pic.

you need to have IMG at the beginning of it and /IMG at the end
(in brackets)

so when finished it will look like this:

[IMG ]urlofimagegoeshere[/IMG ]
minus the spaces in the brackets.

Merkip
Standard
Standard

Post by Merkip » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:29 pm

God Of Rock wrote:you need to use image tags to post a sig pic.

you need to have IMG at the beginning of it and /IMG at the end
(in brackets)

so when finished it will look like this:

[IMG ]urlofimagegoeshere[/IMG ]
minus the spaces in the brackets.
Oh thank you! and Chrono Crusade rox my box

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:57 pm

On that topic, it's generally considered polite to keep banners in your sig to a reasonable size (both in terms of image display size as well as file size). The picture you have there is a bit much in my opinion.

Something like what I have in my sig right now (the Pop'n Navy tracker) is probably what you should target for sig banner sizes (especially the height).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merkip
Standard
Standard

Post by Merkip » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:26 pm

MonMotha wrote:On that topic, it's generally considered polite to keep banners in your sig to a reasonable size (both in terms of image display size as well as file size). The picture you have there is a bit much in my opinion.

Something like what I have in my sig right now (the Pop'n Navy tracker) is probably what you should target for sig banner sizes (especially the height).
srry bout that

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Agreed. Large signatures tend to break up the flow of topics as you find yourself scrolling more than reading.

We had some guidelines on the old site. I think they were something like no more than about 500 pixels wide so as not to cause horizontal scrolling, and no more than about 100 pixels tall. These are not strictly enforced, but if your signature is bigger than your posts...it's probably too big.

If I see a signature that's too big, I may remove it and send the owner a PM to let him/her know to try something else.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:18 am

On that note, the last banner I tried to design showed up on the site WAY bigger than it did while I was editing it on my computer, so it may take some messing with to actually get it to display right...

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 am

I'd be willing to bet that when you made your image in whatever program you used that you probably had it set to be zoomed out. Once you started using it as your sig it was displayed at 100% of its resolution, aka bigger than you thought it was.

fpd
Standard
Standard

Post by fpd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:56 pm

I usually make sigs 600 or 700 (usually 6) by 150, it lets me put more stuff in there and such, I'll spare you the hug animated sigs that I make though lol. like this one
YAGUCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:09 pm

fpd wrote:I usually make sigs 600 or 700 (usually 6) by 150, it lets me put more stuff in there and such, I'll spare you the hug animated sigs that I make though lol. like this one
This isn't about cramming more stuff into your sig. This is about not making people scroll all over the place just to read the forums. While someone may admire your sig at first, after they've seen it multiple times they're probably going to want to skip past it to get to the next post. Like I said before...as a rule of thumb, if your sig is bigger than your post, it's probably too big.

The one you have now, while I don't have a problem with its content, is bordering on being too big. I can understand people wanting to make their signatures look cool, but please try to think of the impact it has on the forums overall.

fpd
Standard
Standard

Post by fpd » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:17 pm

yeah, i didn't mean fit more stuff, that was a bad way to put it, more I can't work with a really small space as well, as long as it's just one sig it doesn't bother me personally. On clan forums and stuff when people have 3 sigs it gets rediculous, but yeah, this is as big of a sig I'll have, probably the only one cause i'll be too lazy to make another/find my old one lol.
YAGUCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:57 pm

Large sigs (a couple hundred pixels) in height don't bother me at all, in fact, that's usually how I identify who's posting. I hardly ever read the name if I know the avy, sig I happen to be seeing. However, really wide sig's are irritating, because of the horizontal scroll thing. I'm guilty of having one of those, but I didn't even know it...the forum automatically resized it when I viewed it, so it looked normal sized...but when a few people saw it, it was huge. I am sorry, I did not know. :x
Speaking of sigs, I need to make one...

Juwi bean
Standard
Standard

Post by Juwi bean » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:32 am

I can't remember how to make the image in my sig a link...what's the code for that? (I feel dumb cuz I figured it out and wrote it down, but I lost it)
i am cute. my panda's bigger than your panda.
Avon Otaku

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:45 am

Make sure bbcode is on for you (it is unless you turned it off). It'll say so next to the box for your sig in your profile. Then use:

[img]URL_TO_IMAGE[/img]

So, for example:

[img]http://www.indyddr.com/images/3Dlogo.png[/img] would put the IndyDDR logo in your sig. You'll have to host the image yourself somewhere.

If you then want to make it a clickable link, surround it with [url="http://url/"][/url]

So: [url="http://www.indyddr.com/"][img]http://www.indyddr.com/images/3Dlogo.png[/img][/url]
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:42 am

Just a small little correction...

BBCode doesn't use quotation marks when specifying attributes.

So it would be
[url=http://www.indyddr.com]IndyDDR[/url]

instead of

[url="http://www.indyddr.com"]IndyDDR[/url]