Merk vs. IndyDDR: Waiting for a Merk-acle

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Merk vs. IndyDDR: KONAMI COMPOOTER entertainment TOKYO

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 am

Ho wrote:So which 20, November chart is it that we're supposed to be doing? I'll just go ahead and load its native mix to get my score.

In other news, I have come to the realization that I've barely played DDR during my hiatus from this activity. I am out of shape (again/already) and it hurts really bad. I got a 28 on Wookie Wookie. I'm sure I could do better than that...just not tonight. :/
Whichever one is on Supernova, I am pretty sure it's the one that got its arcade debut in Extreme. It's not the one that appeared in 2nd or 3rd.

If there isn't a goofy little step-jump-step-jump pattern during the song's little drumrolls then you're not playing the right chart.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:31 am

LikeableRodent wrote:Sorry to rewind the conversation a few days, but I felt like saying that even though I rarely play anymore, I still carry my e-amuse card in my wallet.

Once I got used to using e-amuse it made not want to play at any arcade that doesn't have it. There have been a few times of me passing by a DDR machine while I was wearing my DDRable shoes (when I'm out and about I'm usually wearing either bike cleats or sandals), was about to put in some money, realized it wasn't connected to e-amuse, then left without playing.

Not having e-amuse is definitely a deal breaker for me and probably most players here.
It's pretty clear that e-amuse is at the center of Konami's Bemani strategy. And given the fact that we still don't have it here in the US makes it pretty clear that we are not at the center of their strategy (not that I ever thought we were).

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 am

Extreme is the best mix anyway and it was before e-amuse so really this is a case of no-harm, no-foul.

Sure we miss out on some score comparison shit from Beet and such but that's why we have shit like VJ Army, Pop'n Navy, and the soon to be created Sessionrockers.com.

Let's Session Rockering!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:54 am

Disagree.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:03 am

If you have anything to contribute on the Extreme vs. Every Other Mix argument that hasn't been exhausted a million times in this very thread please let us know.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 am

If I thought you would actually listen instead of just clinging to your prejudices, I would.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am

Okay, barring Supernova 2, 2nd mix, 1st mix, X3, and DDR Solo I've played at least a round on every mix.

Supernova - Just read the thread, the big debate is pretty much Extreme vs. Supernova

X - New cabinets suck, new song rating system sucks, removed even more good songs from Extreme and the few good songs from Supernova and replaced them with more shitty US licenses. They should have just made the new difficulty scale out of 12, kept everything 9 and below the way it was, and re-evaluated all of the 10s.

X2 - Holy shit what did they do to the interface?!?!?

Aaaaaand Oni courses were effectively taken out. That's obviously not a big deal to you guys but I have a huge boner for them.

I'm open to any and all rebuttals.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 am

All of that is nothing more than your own opinions.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 am

Merk wrote:Okay, barring Supernova 2, 2nd mix, 1st mix, X3, and DDR Solo I've played at least a round on every mix.

Supernova - Just read the thread, the big debate is pretty much Extreme vs. Supernova

X - New cabinets suck, new song rating system sucks, removed even more good songs from Extreme and the few good songs from Supernova and replaced them with more shitty US licenses. They should have just made the new difficulty scale out of 12, kept everything 9 and below the way it was, and re-evaluated all of the 10s.

X2 - Holy shit what did they do to the interface?!?!?

Aaaaaand Oni courses were effectively taken out. That's obviously not a big deal to you guys but I have a huge boner for them.

I'm open to any and all rebuttals.
X2 did add some awesome charts. Seems like an 'every other mix sucks' pattern after Extreme.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:25 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:X2 did add some awesome charts. Seems like an 'every other mix sucks' pattern after Extreme.
I generally agree with this sentiment. Although I don't think SuperNOVA or X suck outright, I found them both to be...disappointing. SuperNOVA, in particular, given the huge gap of time between it and Extreme. After such a long hiatus, I think the audience (certainly I was) was craving something big. But, SN ultimately didn't do much to turn my attention away from Pump which had taken DDR's place in the interim.

X isn't that bad as a game. The biggest problem is the cabinet. That's really only a US problem and not a problem with the game itself. Having played it on a JP cabinet, let me just say that it is a (positive) experience in itself. But I agree that SN2 and X2 both brought more to the table in the way of fun, quality content to play than their respective predecessors.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:33 am

All of that is nothing more than your own opinions.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:38 am

I can only think of 1 or 2 songs X introduced that I enjoyed. X2 is stellar.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 am

Merk wrote:All of that is nothing more than your own opinions.

I was replying to Fluffy.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:08 pm

I dunno mang, the few songs I played at Brian's on X2 were pretty rad. All the new songs seem like they were fast and cool sounding, and pretty much my favorites from IIDX. Wish I had a chance to play that mix more... do they have those songs at the Putt Putt stepmania cab?

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Nope, the latest they have is the songs on Supernova2 and some Ultramixes.

With that being said though, Unreal (the song from Supernova2) is pretty good but the chart is fuckgay.