DDR SuperNOVA (new arcade mix)

Moderator: Moderators

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:22 pm

I have a question...
Why does everyone like that Polovstian Dances and Chorus or whatever song so much? I mean to each their own, but it's not that good.

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:40 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:I have a question...
Why does everyone like that Polovstian Dances and Chorus or whatever song so much? I mean to each their own, but it's not that good.
It probably isn't even the song. Most people seem to like the video over the song.

Frazzle Dazzle
Standard
Standard

Post by Frazzle Dazzle » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:46 pm

I like it because of the song, it's so soothing. And the steps are fun, but I can't do well at home because of the pad that I play on.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:48 pm

Because it isn't Butterfly.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Frazzle Dazzle wrote:
Yume_Taira wrote:
Lil Dyme wrote: uhhh u shouldnt be excited. i played the beta and its a piece of crap. it was only the beta but i thought the songlist was crap.
The songlist they released on the sites actually looks really good. Not to mention I'm a pretty good fan of one or two of the Extreme 2 songs they popped in there.

And she was talking about Bloomington getting a non-Beta machine, as in the real ones, when they come out!
The updated list looks great. But what Extreme 2 songs are they? The one song from there that gets me excited is, POLOVSTION!
That one's on there. ^_^ As is Can Be Real (my personal favorite of the Extreme 2s)...actually, I think almost all of them are on the full songlist for SuperNova, which makes a little sense since it is a US release. I need to re-check that.

Frazzle Dazzle
Standard
Standard

Post by Frazzle Dazzle » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Yume_Taira wrote:
Frazzle Dazzle wrote:
Yume_Taira wrote: The songlist they released on the sites actually looks really good. Not to mention I'm a pretty good fan of one or two of the Extreme 2 songs they popped in there.

And she was talking about Bloomington getting a non-Beta machine, as in the real ones, when they come out!
The updated list looks great. But what Extreme 2 songs are they? The one song from there that gets me excited is, POLOVSTION!
That one's on there. ^_^ As is Can Be Real (my personal favorite of the Extreme 2s)...actually, I think almost all of them are on the full songlist for SuperNova, which makes a little sense since it is a US release. I need to re-check that.
I liked almost everything on Extreme 2. But I liked Polovstion and Get Busy the most. Get Busy isn't a bad song, (and I'm not a ghettoite for liking it) but I mainly like it for the step chart.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 pm

Frazzle Dazzle wrote:
Yume_Taira wrote:
Frazzle Dazzle wrote:The updated list looks great. But what Extreme 2 songs are they? The one song from there that gets me excited is, POLOVSTION!
I liked almost everything on Extreme 2. But I liked Polovstion and Get Busy the most. Get Busy isn't a bad song, (and I'm not a ghettoite for liking it) but I mainly like it for the step chart.
AAAUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Paul is the devil. period. point blank. :wink:
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Intermezzo wrote:
It probably isn't even the song. Most people seem to like the video over the song.
Oh, I wouldn't know...I always turn the videos off on home versions cause they piss me off. They always seem to either be too bright, have colors that blend in with the arrows, or have scrolling movement to the picture which makes it hard to concentrate on the arrows.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:23 am

I have to concurr with video brightness. My experiences show that it's usually an issue with both the TV and the game itself where brightness should be reduced slightly on both of them.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:54 am

hascoolnickname wrote:Because it isn't Butterfly.
Good reason. :o

The only DDR game I've really had trouble with the backgrounds on is Max 2. The random sudden flashes of white in some of the background animations always throw me off (Jam and Marmalade ): ) Extreme 2 wasn't really a problem to me.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:53 pm

I agree... the only reason i ever liked it was the background, but now i dont like it at all

other songs have cool backgrounds too, personally i like sakura's background...

[_fr35h_]
Standard
Standard

Post by [_fr35h_] » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:13 pm

Cartoon Heros makes me feel like Superman ice-cream......

Although whenever i ate that stuff my shit turned blue :(
Never Give Up
Never Give In

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Well, now I've played it.

It definitely seemed better than what I had read about the beta at Brunswick Zone, so it seems to have had some work since then. But it's still beta and still has some problems...but nothing seemingly insurmountable.

New flat monitor makes the new graphics look very crisp and sharp. I am dubbing this DDR "Tron Mix" based on the retro-futuristic style of the graphics. But overall I like it. Select songs have full videos (as in recent home versions). Other songs have the retro-futuristic backgrounds with cell shaded characters. I'm happy to see the characters back, and they have much more detail and move very fluidly.

Song list is huge. Only problem with that is that it can take awhile to find the song you want. I'm sure sorting will help with that, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. But there's a good mix of new (mostly stuff that's appeared on home versions since Extreme, but a few completely new songs) and returning songs. Some songs had synching issues, but it wasn't a universal problem as plenty of songs played just fine.

Cabinet looks nice. There's a new fading effect on the neon surrounding the subwoofers. The sideart is also a nice touch. I still don't like the boxy marquee, but whatever.

It was nice to get a chance to play on a new stage. It has a nice springy feel to it, and it was all shiny and spiffy. There were a few problems with sticking arrows, but I've seen that in new PIU and ITG stages, so I'm not too terribly concerned. I think they'll work themselves out as they get broken in.

So there's definitely some work to be done yet, but I think if they can fix the few problems that they'll have a strong mix on their hands.

Veteran players will probably find something to complain about, but don't forget that there's a whole crop of newer or brand new players for whom this could be a first arcade DDR experience. There's plenty here to love to take DDR into the next generation of players regardless of what happens to the current or past generations.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Large song lists are no big deal, as I have about 3,000+ songs on Stepmania. :D

Other than all this, I'd like to know what kind of Nonstop-Oni modes this'll have, if any.

That, and is the Mod list gonna be the same, or slightly altered?
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:11 pm

There are apparently about 300 or so songs on it, of which roughly half appear to be new ones (new relative to Extreme AC JP). Many of them are from home versions (JP and US), but some are new transplants from other Bemani or just completely new.

The mod list looks pretty much identical to unhacked Extreme. There weren't any constant speed mods or less than x1 mods that I saw, though they could be hidden at the end of the list. The display format for the mods screen is now just the selected mods with arrows, rather than displaying all the possible choices. There are more noteskins including a weird one that uses solo style colors but with a smooth pallete rotation effect similar to vivid. Traditional flat, vivid, and solo are also available, and you can now split solo/vivid. There weren't any of the wacky mods like StepMania/ITG uses available, though they could be added before release I guess.

The biggest issue I noted was that pretty much all the new songs are fairly badly desynced, some more than others. I think there was one song that I had double digit perfects and triple digit greats on. While I'm used to Pump timings, that's still unusual for me, and other songs (old ones) I scored significantly better on (exact opposite ratios, pretty much). Apparently, Konami is aware of that issue and it will hopefully be fixed before release.

The remainder of the issues I have with it are just a whole bunch of minor interface issues. They obviously want to show off the shiny graphics they can do on their new hardware, but waiting for menu animations to complete can get kinda annoying. I'm used to rapidly flipping through the menus on Extreme rather than waiting for pointless background animations to finish. The name entry screen also kinda sucks, if only because you can only see the current letter than the immediately adjacent two (for no real reason), so you have to start running the ABCs in your head sometimes :) You do get 8 letters for you name, now.

It's definately a lot more flashy than Extreme, and I welcome the return of the dancer characters, though I'm curious as to why only one is on the screen at a time. Most songs have the normal DDR style CG backgrounds, but a few have FMVs ala True. The videos are all at much higher quality than Extreme's overcompressed MJPEGs, and the load times are lightning fast (much like playing a CS mix on HD loader).

I do like the fading neon effect. The new cabinet art is pretty neat, though I also liked the reserved look of the old DDR cabinets with their minimal decaling. I don't like the boxy marquee, but whatever. Hopefully that'll get changed before release, but it's at least a completely non-functional component of the cabinet.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.