Popularity

Moderator: Moderators

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Popularity

Post by Dyme » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:52 pm

do u guys think this is getting more popular or goin down in the dumps?
Team KIMO represent!

ItAmi
Light
Light

Post by ItAmi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:10 pm

I think it depends on what you mean by popular. If you mean "more people know about it and are aware of it's existence", then yes. However, if you mean, are there more people playing it than previously and enjoy it more and more as a hobby, I'm afraid I have to say no. The fact that extreme is two years or so old with nothing truly new since then means it's not fresh to anyone anymore, and the coming of "in the groove" paired with the rising popularity and appearances of pump it up give most dedicated ddr players something new to get into. So for now, DDR is heading downwards in popularity among players of the game. However, if something along the lines of "extreme 2" is released somewhere, we are all going to go nuts and play the hell out of it, at least that's my guess. Ho and I had a conversation about this last tuesday, I feel he might be able to add some things I may have left out or otherwise failed to mention.
Yeah, whatever, blah.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:37 pm

I think DDR is losing it's popularity to ITG. However, the name DDR is much more known than ITG. when I would say to someone, I'm going to go play ITG they'd respond with wth is ITG. I would usually just respond "It's like DDR but is more difficult" ((NOTE: THIS IS MY OPINION AND IS NOT MEANT TO SPARK THE DDR VS ITG ARGUMENT)) At that point the person would say Oh the arrow stompy game.... and I'd be like... yes... the arrow stompy game.

I have trouble believing that ITG would fully replace DDR... you see modern gamers who know about the ATARI and respect it. That is because it was the father to all video games (well kinda, technically a massive computer running spacewar was first) When someone bought a colecovision I'm sure people would at first relate it to ATARI (even though colecovision had way better graphics IMO). ITG seems to draw crowds much faster than DDR and perhaps will get more people interested in it..

however, DDR itself still is dying out... many machines have been replaced by ITG. purdue decided to be retarded and downgrade their extreme machine to Max2 for reasons that still elude me. But overall, DDR WILL die out if they, as ItAmi said, do not release an Extreme 2 in the US... that's how everything works.... except for pong and space invaders.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

XeroCi
Standard
Standard

Post by XeroCi » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:47 pm

Green Tea wrote:I think DDR is losing it's popularity to ITG. However, the name DDR is much more known than ITG. when I would say to someone, I'm going to go play ITG they'd respond with wth is ITG. I would usually just respond "It's like DDR but is more difficult" ((NOTE: THIS IS MY OPINION AND IS NOT MEANT TO SPARK THE DDR VS ITG ARGUMENT)) At that point the person would say Oh the arrow stompy game.... and I'd be like... yes... the arrow stompy game.

I have trouble believing that ITG would fully replace DDR... you see modern gamers who know about the ATARI and respect it. That is because it was the father to all video games (well kinda, technically a massive computer running spacewar was first) When someone bought a colecovision I'm sure people would at first relate it to ATARI (even though colecovision had way better graphics IMO). ITG seems to draw crowds much faster than DDR and perhaps will get more people interested in it..

however, DDR itself still is dying out... many machines have been replaced by ITG. purdue decided to be retarded and downgrade their extreme machine to Max2 for reasons that still elude me. But overall, DDR WILL die out if they, as ItAmi said, do not release an Extreme 2 in the US... that's how everything works.... except for pong and space invaders.
[offtopic]Honestly.. if anyone could give me a reason to say its different from DDR except graphics, songs, and noteskins.. and a couple non-important things.. it is the same thing as DDR.

Even DDRSOLO2000 had something LIKE hands. Left-Upleft-upright-right jumps anyone? They wern't meant to be done with your hands, but its like it none the less.

The only gameplay difference between DDR and ITG is Freeze Rolls, and mines.. and I guess you could count hands. Ok.. done now[/offtopic]

DDR is losing popularity.. but home versions will bring new players in. Its starting to kick back up in kokomo, since we got the machine back. ITG2 is eating away popularity.. from Veteran players. The lack of ITG/ITG2 machines make it much more unpopular than DDR to the casual player.
Owner/Operator/Leader of DDRKokomo. Assistant Leader of DDRKokomo: Arrow Stompers.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:41 pm

I don't know what you guys are talking about wrt people being "stupid" to downgrade machines. I'd love for the local arcade to swap out their Extreme for some older stuff. MAX2 would be fine, but I think that's too close to Extreme: people will still see it as the same game, but with less stuff (there are, after all, only 4 or 5 exclusives that didn't come back on Extreme, but boy were they good!).

Many newer players haven't seen the older stuff. Many of the songs on 4th Plus or 5th would be new to them. The only downside is the lack of speed mods (and the framerate on 4th, which you get used to pretty fast). Sure, it's a downgrade in version, but in many ways it's an upgrade: you've never played many of the songs before. You want challenging? Go play Moonlight Shadow double, and don't let the rating of 7 fool you: you'll trip over yourself the first time you play it almost guaranteed.

I do agree, though, if there's another AC release of DDR, they really need to add stuff like handplants and some of the stranger spins and rhythm patterns they never or rarely used. It would bring a dimension to the game not seen on DDR. Then again, Pump has all that stuff, so I'm happy.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm

MonMotha wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about wrt people being "stupid" to downgrade machines. I'd love for the local arcade to swap out their Extreme for some older stuff. MAX2 would be fine, but I think that's too close to Extreme: people will still see it as the same game, but with less stuff (there are, after all, only 4 or 5 exclusives that didn't come back on Extreme, but boy were they good!).

Many newer players haven't seen the older stuff. Many of the songs on 4th Plus or 5th would be new to them. The only downside is the lack of speed mods (and the framerate on 4th, which you get used to pretty fast). Sure, it's a downgrade in version, but in many ways it's an upgrade: you've never played many of the songs before. You want challenging? Go play Moonlight Shadow double, and don't let the rating of 7 fool you: you'll trip over yourself the first time you play it almost guaranteed.

I do agree, though, if there's another AC release of DDR, they really need to add stuff like handplants and some of the stranger spins and rhythm patterns they never or rarely used. It would bring a dimension to the game not seen on DDR. Then again, Pump has all that stuff, so I'm happy.
i agree with you. i would much rather play 3rd mix than 8th. theres too many 8th mixes.
Team KIMO represent!

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:33 pm

That's exactly why I rotate mixes on the arcade machine down here all the time. People that are "Extreme-ists" give me flak all the time, but generally getting a chance to play other mixes like 5th mix and 7th mix is appreciated.

*Takes oppuritunity to insert plug about the business*

Right now we are doing a month of Extreme since we went through a big rotation at the beginning of school year, but during the club meetings, for instance, we do other mixes. Tonight is 5th mix and I dont know what other nights will be since we vote for the mix at the club meeting.

50 cents for 3 songs. Can't beat that price. It's worth the drive ^_~

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:40 pm

RyogAkari wrote: 50 cents for 3 songs. Can't beat that price. It's worth the drive ^_~
Although your price is good Zach, from where I live it's not worth the drive. If I still lived in bloomington, you know I'd be visiting when I could. 1hr 45min drive compared to 5hr 45min drive. I think I'll play here in the Fort but I will be at the tourney!!! :lol:

As far as DDR's popularity, I honestly think it's going down. I still enjoy playing but I started playing back in 99 so I guess you can call me one of the older players, so it's easier for me to say it's popularity has gone down from what it used to be. Whereas, the younger and upcoming players think DDR is "so awesome", who start on Extreme and didnt have the opportunity to go thru all the mixes like most ppl did. They seem to be the ones that believe Konami will continue to keep making new mixes.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:02 pm

I think "stagnant" would be a more proper word.

As for DDR losing to ITG, not really. ITG isn't really THAT much more popular than DDR, and a good amount of DDRers aren't making the switch to ITG. Some just stopped playing or still primarily sticking to DDR, maybe ITG once in a while.

ITG will never replace DDR either. I'm sure Roxor knows that. It's like saying there will be other players that'll replace Michael Jordan, you can't. DDR is it's own thing, and no matter if there's another similar game that can outdo DDR in hardware, software, and features, you still can't replace the original; it's been a mainstay with so many people for so many years.

Also, DDR and ITG draw the same non-playing crowds generally. People who don't really play just see arrow stomping, and to them, both games are the same...but more people are familiar with "Dance Dance Revolution," because that has been in the media MUCH MUCH more and MUCH longer than ITG or PIU has.

Fluffyumpkins

Re:

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 am

MonMotha wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about wrt people being "stupid" to downgrade machines. I'd love for the local arcade to swap out their Extreme for some older stuff. MAX2 would be fine, but I think that's too close to Extreme: people will still see it as the same game, but with less stuff (there are, after all, only 4 or 5 exclusives that didn't come back on Extreme, but boy were they good!).

I know Moonlight Shadow has been often used as an example of a great doubles chart, but I actually looked into the pattern and it isn't what I thought. Places where you would expect to keep alternating feet require that you double step, or keep on the expected foot and add a spin. It isn’t hard because it is tricky, but rather because you need to be psychic or know the chart ahead of time. That said, it looks impressive as hell when you can pull it off.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Popularity

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:33 am

There's a way to do it smoothly. It's just not obvious. I know the chart and I still screw it up more than half the time. But you're right, it's impressive and a whole lot of fun when you get it right! :)

Next, you should try Butterfly Upswing Mix Manaic Double...

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 am

Ho wrote:There's a way to do it smoothly. It's just not obvious. I know the chart and I still screw it up more than half the time. But you're right, it's impressive and a whole lot of fun when you get it right! :)

Next, you should try Butterfly Upswing Mix Manaic Double...
I tried that over the weekend on the Putt-Putt Stepmania cabinet. I nearly fell over trying to do it without the bar. Good stuff. I'm making a point to replay more old songs to see what doubles charts I might have missed. Many of us know all of the singles charts pretty well, but few of us could name more than 10 doubles charts that are awesome.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

You tried Moonlight Shadow or Butterfly Upswing over the weekend? Or both?

Do You Remember Me? (MAX) and AA (SuperNOVA) are also excellent Maniac/Heavy/Expert Double charts.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Ho wrote:You tried Moonlight Shadow or Butterfly Upswing over the weekend? Or both?

Do You Remember Me? (MAX) and AA (SuperNOVA) are also excellent Maniac/Heavy/Expert Double charts.
Both. I also agree with you on these other two charts. It might be fun to start at the top of the list and play each doubles chart at least once. I bet there are a few undiscovered gems.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Play Xenon on doubles.

I have no idea what the chart is like but I have a vague memory that it is nothing like its singles counterpart. Honestly the best part about doubles is the number of charts that have a completely different rhythm than singles. Orion.78 and Freckles come to mind as two examples but I know there's at least dozens more.

EDIT: Nevermind I just checked Xenon and it's more or less the same. So Deep on the other hand is pretty darn different but I think most people knew that.

God dammit all this doubles talk really makes me wanna play some doubles. I wonder if I would have been all boners for it in my prime if it didn't cost two games.