Arcade operators and meeting player expectations

Moderator: Moderators

Aoi-chan
Light
Light

Re: Arcade operators and meeting player expectations

Post by Aoi-chan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:05 am

PlayerTwo wrote:I had considered pursuing a Dance Maniax for smaller locations that would likely appreciate a larger game like a DDR but lack the space. Worthwhile?
That really depends. Where is it going? How long do you plan to keep the machine? Do you enjoy replacing and fixing broken parts on hard to find Japanese dance machines?

Simply put, a Dance Maniax doesn't make much money. It will make about 1/4 the money of a DDR at 2 or 3 coins per play. In locations where your customers are "casual" like in a movie theater, it will most likely make less than that. But look at your demographics. A location with lots of kids it will make more, or even certain ethicities such as a large Asian population will increase the revenue.

You can buy these machines for very little actually. One on Ebay went for under $200 this past week. But some will be closer to $2000. If nothing else, these make good parts machines for other Bemani cabinets, as there is a lot of similar hardware in them.

The last concern with this machine is the confusion on how to play it. So many people will "hit" the sensors thinking they are drums or stand on the wrong side or worse in the middle of the two sets of sensors. Now imagine a confused hot head idiot failing at a song, doesn't understand how to play at the movie theater, looking like a fool in front of his friends and thinking these are drum pads, not motion sensors. You get a busted up machine and a service call on top of it. Then the other idiots try to hang off the sensor bars. Both young and adult customers will do this.

Now that I've totally scared you away from buying a DM machine, maybe get a good crane machine instead :P

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:51 am

If you're expecting to make any serious money off any Bemani games other than DDR, run away. In almost all markets, they simply don't make money. IIDX and pop'n music can simply due to their rarity in the USA, but the "dead" games like DMX, KBM, etc. seem to be dead for a reason: they don't earn. GF/DM can apparently do OK in some markets, but again consider your demographic. Most USians will likely consider it a "knock-off" of Rock Band or Guitar Hero, and they won't be able to figure the interface out anyway since there's a lot of Japanese.

Basically, stick with DDR unless you really want to try to create a sort of "Bemani destination", and even then I think you'll be dissappointed with revenue. Redemption is what keeps most arcades afloat these days. Kids are apt to blow quarters like nobody's business on a stupid slam-a-winner. The videos only need to keep their parents and older siblings occupied, and you can do that better with a House of the Dead or Time Crisis.

To be clear, I personally hate redeption and gun games for the most part, but that's what earns, and earning is business.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:50 am

MonMotha wrote:If you're expecting to make any serious money off any Bemani games other than DDR, run away. In almost all markets, they simply don't make money. IIDX and pop'n music can simply due to their rarity in the USA, but the "dead" games like DMX, KBM, etc. seem to be dead for a reason: they don't earn. GF/DM can apparently do OK in some markets, but again consider your demographic. Most USians will likely consider it a "knock-off" of Rock Band or Guitar Hero, and they won't be able to figure the interface out anyway since there's a lot of Japanese.

Basically, stick with DDR unless you really want to try to create a sort of "Bemani destination", and even then I think you'll be dissappointed with revenue. Redemption is what keeps most arcades afloat these days. Kids are apt to blow quarters like nobody's business on a stupid slam-a-winner. The videos only need to keep their parents and older siblings occupied, and you can do that better with a House of the Dead or Time Crisis.

To be clear, I personally hate redeption and gun games for the most part, but that's what earns, and earning is business.
As much as I hate to say this since I am a huge Pop'N/IIDX fan, it is the unfortunate truth when it comes to Bemani. While most players are initially drawn in by the unique gimmick, it will only get the initial draw and get quarters mainly from repeat customers which simply doesn't work unless there is enough of a fanbase.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!