I'm going to rant about Supernova 2

Moderator: Moderators

LikeableRodent

I'm going to rant about Supernova 2

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:01 am

I pretty much only play it while I'm waiting for Pop'n Music to open up, but when I do play it I usually come away with the opinion that it sucks.

Ok, it has a few redeeming qualities, but most of the new stuff is pretty damn lame.

To get it out of the way quickly, the main new thing I like is having Marvelouses in regular gameplay. Hawt. Awesome. We're done with this section except for saying that the main other good thing about the game is that there are plenty of songs from Extreme and earlier.

Now to find the bad new stuff you pretty much have to subtract the good new stuff (Marvelouses) from everything else. That will leave you with... well, pretty much everything else.

Yes, I really dislike most of the new songs. I really dislike most of the new courses.

Why do I dislike so many of the new songs? Aside from seemingly most of them being licensed covers (which isn't really a bad thing in and of itself), almost all of them have misrated difficulties, poor stepcharts, and stupid stupid STUPID tempo changes.

For the Expert difficulty I like to classify songs in three categories:
  • Songs that are really too easy.
  • Songs of a nice difficulty level--stuff is happening but not too much stuff.
  • Uberfast/complicated songs, usually the 10 footers
I usually gravitate towards songs that fall into the second category--those that aren't boringly easy but also aren't (*&^DSF. The problem here arises because Supernova 2 added MANY of the first category and a few more of the third category. And the ones they added to the middle category? Well, there are a few, but most of them simply aren't fun.

I'm sorry Konami, but I have an intense hatred for RANDOM STUPID USELESS TEMPO CHANGES AND STOPS. Seriously, NO MORE. There are far, far too many of these on these new songs.

Let's look at one of my least favorite examples of this phenomenom: Giri Giri. About halfway through the song there's a random tempo stop. A little bit later there's another. And another. And another. Hell, there may even be another. God, why the hell did they decide to do that? It's absolutely terrible and unneeded.

Furthermore, I pretty much only play double, and in Giri Giri on double there's a sequence of 1/8th notes that go Player 2 Right, Player 2 Down, Player 1 Down.

Have you tried doing that? It usually results in a literal jump, almost a leap, to the other pad. The first time I played the song I was confused because I was sure that no way did they just want me to go airborn leaping from pad to pad. Bah.

Yes, ITG did it, and no, I really thought it was stupid then, too.

So where does this leave me? If you watch the songwheel when I'm in the Supernova 2 section you'll see a bunch of Es on 8-foot songs. Why? It's because when the song starts doing these dumb-shit tempo stops/changes for no reason except to artificially bump up the difficulty, it tends to really screw me up, and I end up failing. Once I know that the song is so freakin' stupid, I tend to never play it again.

So then where does that leave me? It leaves me almost exclusively playing the songs from Extreme and before, which I count as the only real good thing in this mix: the stuff from previous mixes.

I was at the arcade earlier today, and I just really had to get this off my chest.
Last edited by LikeableRodent on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Re: I'm going to rant about Supernova 2

Post by BigBadOrc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:27 am

LikeableRodent wrote:I'm sorry Konami, but I have an intense hatred for RANDOM STUPID USELESS TEMPO CHANGES AND STOPS. Seriously, NO MORE. There are far, far too many of these on these new songs.
Well said, could not agree more :shock:

Songs like fascination maxx make me not even care enough to try to beat. That is.. unless it's loaded into R21 and played on C750 mini
groovestats
<3 blackcat

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 am

Damn, I forgot to even go into the poor course selection. There are a few good Oni/Nonstop courses, but most of them are quite lame. Giri Giri actually pisses me off so much because I was introduced to it from trying to play the Supernova 2 course on double. I thought it was a decent course until that damn song came up.

For more annoyances with Supernova 2 you also can tack on the confused look on my face when, in regular playmode, I AAed the last song and Extra Stage didn't pop up. :sadface:

With all this said, Extreme still remains the last great DDR mix. Here's hoping that Supernova 3 or whathaveyou blows 2 out of the water.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:38 am

And here I've heard SuperNOVA 2 already blows SuperNOVA 1 out of the water. That must mean SuperNOVA 1 is like playing a Celine Dion album while stomping on bags of flaming dog doo.

But I didn't think SuperNOVA 1 was that bad :roll:

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:And here I've heard SuperNOVA 2 already blows SuperNOVA 1 out of the water. That must mean SuperNOVA 1 is like playing a Celine Dion album while stomping on bags of flaming dog doo.

But I didn't think SuperNOVA 1 was that bad :roll:
I actually just played SuperNOVA 2 for the first time last night. The pads were in bad shape, but I'll assume it could be fixed if the operators knew what they were doing.

I actually enjoy the game a great deal. Many of the new songs actually sound good! I understand that many people have different tastes, but this certainly blows the supernova track list out of the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Danc ... uperNOVA_2

You can see how much was added to the existing Extreme and Supernova lineup. How many songs were removed?

* 20, November / dj nagureo
* Be in my Paradise / JJ COMPANY
* Beautiful Life / ARIA
* Celebrate / JJ COMPANY
* Dr. Love / baby weapon feat. Asuka. M
* Jam Jam Reggae / jam master '73
* Jam Jam Reggae (AMD Swing Mix) / Rice. C feat. Jam master 73
* Ska a go go / THE BALD HEADS

What you end up with is a mix with a lot of new content. Additionally, those stupid 10s you could only play on the extra stage in SuperNOVA are now unlocked and can be played on many difficulties.

As far as charts go, this is where I am most excited. ITG was known for creating some very nice charts for 8s and 9s, and it looks like Konami finally figured it out. There a fewer 8th note snoozers and more chaos oriented songs that really test your ability to play different patterns. There are a few songs with sudden pauses, and I've never been excited about those, but in general you shouldn't have to worry about failing a song. There are even plenty of 'high level' charts for the player that enjoys 10s. New challenge charts for the SuperNOVA 10s and a few fresh songs as well that make Max 300 look like Butterfly.

I admit I haven't played around with the courses, but I never did in extreme either. The thing I do not like at all is how you get the extra stage. You have to either AA something on random or AA a particular song by choice. No more playing whatever you'd like as the 3rd song to guarantee a 4th.

It may not be as great as Extreme was at the time, but SuperNOVA was just plain bad. I think many DDR players will be content with this mix.

I can't wait for Bloomington to get this mix.

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Reviews should be left to people GOOD at the game :/

You should fly Potter out to review it, hes amazing <3.
I'm prettier than you :)

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I can't wait for Bloomington to get this mix.
Already been talking to Daniel about it. :D

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:48 pm

LikeableRodent wrote:stupid stupid STUPID tempo changes.
Welcome to post-Extreme DDR.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:01 pm

danc1005 wrote:
I would say tempo changes and pauses ala Disconnected Disco are fun. Stop and Go was also a decent song, although it was definitely pushing it. FaXx is just stupid.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:02 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:
danc1005 wrote:
I would say tempo changes and pauses ala Disconnected Disco are fun. Stop and Go was also a decent song, although it was definitely pushing it. FaXx is just stupid.
True. The Fascination Eternal stops are actually kind of fun once you learn them.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Stops would be a whole lot more fun and less annoying in general if they didn't have steps that start right as you come out of the stop. They should skip a beat or two.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:57 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:Stops would be a whole lot more fun and less annoying in general if they didn't have steps that start right as you come out of the stop. They should skip a beat or two.
Um, this is what they do in several songs for SN2 actually and it's a little annoying. I am inclined to agree with Rodent about not liking the recent boss notecharts as they are just pulling cheap shit.

I can also confirm that the overwhelming majority of Club Version songs got removed from SN2 along with Beautiful Life from Supernova (Which was a licensed song), Gentle Stress (AMD Sensual Mix), and Jam Jam Reggae (AMD Swing Mix).
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:59 pm

hermione wrote:Reviews should be left to people GOOD at the game :/

He WAS better than a lot of us...I couldn't even hold a candle to him in the old days...

Until I play this myself, I can't really agree 100%...But I'll keep a look out for the points you stated.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:32 am

The X wrote:

He WAS better than a lot of us...I couldn't even hold a candle to him in the old days...

Until I play this myself, I can't really agree 100%...But I'll keep a look out for the points you stated.
Hmm, I actually didn't even notice that comment until you replied to it. Thanks for the good words :p

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:49 am

The X wrote:

There were quiet a few people you couldn't handle in the old days ;)
I'm prettier than you :)