DDR X US console release review

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

DDR X US console release review

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:29 am

Alright, I kinda waited to review this release so that I could try to unlock everything, but now that I have unlocked everything important I'll go over the main points.

Positives:
- First US release to have 480p (About time since Supernova AC had this capability.)
- 2008 X Edits were done surprisingly well despite consisting of notecharts based off of their original appearence, but with freeze notes and in some cases shock arrows.
- The points system for unlocking has been completely done away with. However, as I'll mention shortly this also backfires.
- New fonts for note grading work very well surprisingly.
- On The Bounce, out of the 6 Boss Songs, easily the best one.
- $30 instead of the regular $40-$50 pricetag for this release.
- Debuts all planet songs except for one... (More below.)
- Xmixes, great idea, better than expected execution (Aside from Xmix 5), and the US debut of longform songs.
- LAN mode is a great idea for larger gatherings in non-arcade having areas, but I haven't had any chance to try it out yet.
- New 1-20 difficulty scale more accurate than prior 1-10 scale difficulty-wise and works pretty well.
- Street Master Mode allows for whatever mods people want to use. Hurray!

Negatives:
- Unlike the AC version of DDR X, this does NOT have a widescreen mode.
- Is the worst release to unlock hands down as the majority of unlocks can only be done via Street Master Mode and most dancers must be cleared in both normal and advanced mode to receive their SN and SN2 skins.
- Street Master Mode's storylines are completely unnecessary and ludricious. Also, the mode is WAY TOO LONG!
- Trigger Challenge: Proof that once again Konami would rather use cheap speed changes and freezes instead of making a legitimately difficult notechart.
- No revival songs whatsoever aside from SN2 AC songs making their domestic debut.
- The Shock Note idea was VERY poorly executed. (Horato Challenge being the best example of this as the notechart is simply broken cause of it.)
- Again, like US releases of the past, this is missing songs from the arcade counterpart.
- The sync test notechart is not timed up the same as the songs in the game itself, thus completely defeating the purpose of even having that capability.
- Missing the Full Combo screen effect seen in the arcade test. (not much of a gripe, but this along with other factors kinda makes this release feel a little rushed)
- Non-AC based licenses (I don't see Ok Go's Here It Goes Again or Can't Touch This being in the arcade honestly.)
- Missing Mars War and Lamour Et La Liberte (Darwin VS DJ Silver Remix)
- No options for notechart editing for the arcade. (Which was confirmed to allowed custom notecharts via USB Thumb Drive, this feature may not be ready yet though as well.)

Overall, this is a very mixed release. For those who want something closer to the arcade release I'd say hold off for the Japanese release. (Personally, that is what I am planning to do.) For US players needing a fix this should work for them despite the obvious flaws.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Re: DDR X US console release review

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:49 am

Ok, I've checked out the JP release and to say the least I am extremely disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1h-2ti7 ... annel_page
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:30 am

What the? Konami now has speeds going from 1x up to 8x going in 0.5x increments?!?!?!?

THANK YOU GOD!

Oh wait, DDR X doesn't have any good new songs.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 am