Re: DDR X (US) dedicated cabinet review

Post by DAVE101 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:57 am

Still think DDR has triplets?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 am

Yes...occasionally. But what brought this up?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:58 am

ACTUALLYYYYYYYYYYYY we can all sperg out about how some DDR chart triplets aren't "actual" triplets but really at this point it doesn't matter. We know, Bag and Burning Heat had pretty hamfisted charts. And yes, we know, when Konami made DDR they didn't account for having 12th notes so nearly all charts (yes, we know some do not) run in simple 4/4 time where 4th, 8th, and 16th notes could easily be written and displayed in the video game. Yes, we know, that the measures that do use 12th notes are hard coded in the game which is why you can't change these measures when you go into edit mode for these songs on the console releases.

And finally, we know, Stepmania can break songs down to like 256th notes or whatever. Why the fuck you'd ever want anything higher than a 32nd note in a dancing game chart is beyond me unless you're doing some slow BPM / lol but you gotta step fast gimmick.

What brought this up David?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 am

Merk wrote:ACTUALLYYYYYYYYYYYY we can all sperg out about how some DDR chart triplets aren't "actual" triplets but really at this point it doesn't matter. We know, Bag and Burning Heat had pretty hamfisted charts. And yes, we know, when Konami made DDR they didn't account for having 12th notes so nearly all charts (yes, we know some do not) run in simple 4/4 time where 4th, 8th, and 16th notes could easily be written and displayed in the video game. Yes, we know, that the measures that do use 12th notes are hard coded in the game which is why you can't change these measures when you go into edit mode for these songs on the console releases.

And finally, we know, Stepmania can break songs down to like 256th notes or whatever. Why the fuck you'd ever want anything higher than a 32nd note in a dancing game chart is beyond me unless you're doing some slow BPM / lol but you gotta step fast gimmick.

What brought this up David?
David is the most obnoxious person on these boards. I didn't need to use the 'ignore' feature until he started puking worthless posts all over the place.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:46 am

You see I feel like you can't really afford to ignore anyone here since the posting volume is pretty low. Whether or not the post sucks is okay with me because the more information I can get from a person's posting history the more ammunition I have to troll with.

Not that I troll or anything, I'm just saying, I want a better variety of posters and ignoring mofos is counter-productive to that.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:00 am

Merk wrote:Not that I troll or anything, I'm just saying, I want a better variety of posters and ignoring mofos is counter-productive to that.
I appreciate a good variety in my salad, but I won't take a shit in it.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:25 am

I wouldn't go so far as to call Dave a literal shit poster. Sure he might be the funky looking bamboo shoot in your asian persuasion salad but there have been much, much worse on this site. Yes that whole t-shirt exchange was pretty gay but whatev, it's typical ITG AIJ posting prose that's oh so common in the serious dance gamer community these days that it's expected for some of it to leak over into here.

But yeah he's made some low-tier posts but he's no Arka / Grubb / Blaze

Those guys were pretty bad. I'd rather have someone just be a poor internet tough guy troll than to have someone be awkward who thinks that because they post on the same forum as someone else that they are legitimate friends.

EDIT: Don't forget about Wolfen either. God that probably the best and worst time for indyDDR.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:41 am

Wolfen is my inspiration. Perhaps one day I could live up to it's standards.

That being said, I bring up triplets because no one would believe me on the previous page even though it was apparent I was referring to the technicalities of the steps rather than the musical composition itself.
Fluffyumpkins wrote:I appreciate a good variety in my salad, but I won't take a shit in it.
You don't have room to judge until you try it.
Fluffyumpkins wrote:I didn't need to use the 'ignore' feature until he started puking worthless posts all over the place.
This implies that I was all right at one point.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:54 am

Oh okay, I see where the post at the top of this page comes from now.

I'm pretty sure AM-3P didn't have any 12th note triplets in it. It has a drag triplet in it but those can be expressed with 16th notes. 1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a where the bolded letters are the drag triplet, obviously.

The first true triplet chart from my understanding was either Drop the Bomb or Afronova, whichever came first. In the last measure of both of these songs there are triplets

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 pm

While it's true that DDR loves to use the "downbeat, upbeat...upbeat" rhythm that lots of people mistake for "triplets" since J-Pop uses this rhythm a lot, it does appear to support real triplets as of 3rd Mix. The teardown of the CS/AC link edit format I saw indicates that one can engage triplets at any time, though the step editor in the CS versions may not have let you do it.

The jumps at the end of Afronova sure seem like real triplets to me. If they faked it, they did a damn good job of it. Drop the Bomb is the same. I time those as real triplets, and I get seemingly the same distribution of perfects/greats I would expect from normal play on straight 8th/16th streams for me.

I agree that I don't think the "long triplets" in AM-3P are multi-beat triplets. The vivid coloring of later mixes makes this apparent. I think the 2-beat triplets in Max 300 are real, though, but maybe it's too fast to easily tell.

Afronova would be earlier. That was 3rd Mix while Drop the Bomb was 3rd Mix Plus.

Bag is definitely faked. Burning heat seems faked, too, but it's at least not as annoying (the song is pretty good - thank you Mr. T). IIRC, it's "correct" on IIDX as is bag.

FWIW, the engine does seem to know about things other than 4/4 time, though I'm not sure if it can handle 6/8 or 12/8 the way most musicians would (counting it as 2 or 4 sets of triplets). At least on the CS version of 4th Mix (and Konamix), Cutie Chaser in training mode has measures with 3 quarter note downbeats in it (training mode marked off the measures like GF/DM and IIDX do).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu May 29, 2014 11:48 pm

bugaboo53067 wrote:I just think that everything about the new machine looks wrong and cheap. More so than anything is the stage. It looks like a home pad rather than the large, sturdy, and (depending on where you go) nice pads at the arcade. I have a red octane soft pad at home and I would rather play on that than the new stages.

PS- I've played a little PIU but I think that I'm short enough that it causes some issues for me...lol

Happy birthday, mang!