573 question

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 573 question

Post by Ho » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Again. It doesn't have to do with the equipment/hardware.

You can switch most bootlegs pretty much any which way you please, but the legit software goes one way only.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:18 pm

I guess by equipment I was being all-inclusive (ie software and hardware).

So you really can't go back and forth between mixes with legit discs? Konami intended these games to be rendered moot whenever the latest version came out? That seems pretty silly.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:37 pm

There's no money for Konami in downgrades. Also, by design, the used software (specifically the security cartridge) is inoperable on all but the machine it was originally installed on to prevent a secondary market of used upgrade kits. Obviously, the bootlegs got around all of those protections, but Konami's intent was that you would only upgrade and only buy kits from them (or their distributors). This is a revenue stream. This is business.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 am

Chad and I swapped the I/O face plates and I/O wire harnesses of our 573s. My "Drummania" 573 is now a DDR 573 and vice versa.

Once my flash card comes in we can verify if I can get DDR superdisc installed.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:51 am

Flash card came in, I'm burning the superdisc tonight after work and (fingers crossed) everything should work and I can play an official version of a ten year old mix.

And then Brian and I can play songs on doubles that aren't on Supernova!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 pm

I guess I should prepare myself for that sweet, sweet smell of mothballs and get my 573 out.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:31 pm

hahahahah

Brian how many spare 573s do you own?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm not sure off the top of my head. I've got two that I'm treating like Chad is treating his (fully official with no modifications). One is DDR USA and the other is 3rd Mix Ver.KOREA2. I also have the original Percussion Freaks 1st Mix from my PF machine that's in its original state and probably won't change.

The only full spare I had was in DM when I was running the 573 versions of that, but it's in DMX now because my DMX one died. I think I had another spare at one point, but it got traded or sold or something. I may have parts of other units, but I do not believe I have a complete spare at this time other than the aforementioned ones that have specific installations I'm trying to preserve.

That being said, I'd have to look in my box of 573 stuff to tell you for sure. I've lost track of what I have, have had, bought, gave, sold, lost, traded, etc. over the years. The only one I'm using right now is the one that's in DMX, so I haven't given the 573s a whole lot of thought lately.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:35 pm

So here's the problem:

I've put my 573 inside the cabinet and I can't get any picture at all to show up on the screen. JAMMA is plugged in and all that good stuff. I'm using the CD-ROM drive that came with the 573 and it has power and I can open up the tray and all that good shit. I am using CDs that MonMotha left on his Supernova cabinet here at DBH, the DDRMAX2 INSTALL disc specifically, and I'm assuming that it was a good burn since MonMotha was the one that did it.

No picture at all, nada. The lights come on and stay on if all the DIP switches are set to "off" (ie they are "up" if you look straight on at the 573) and the lights come on and turn off after a few seconds if I set DIP-4 to "ON"

Any thoughts? I figured I would at least get SOME sort of picture but I am not getting a thing. I can hear the hum of the monitor turning on whenever I turn the cabinet on so I don't think the monitor would all of the sudden fuck itself.

EDIT: I've confirmed the monitor is working, I just plugged in the minimaid and it's still displaying picture from the computer.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:01 am

Full disclosure: I am using the 573 that Adrian gave me a few months ago. I suppose it's entirely possible he gave me a lemon as I have not verified a game has run successfully on it.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 am

I isolated the issue to be the bootrom IC on Adrian's 573. I took the 573 out of my DM (which I confirmed to be working), put Adrian's bootrom in it, plugged the 573 back into DM, and could not get any sort of bootscreen or picture.

Unfortunately the 573 that came with my DM has a singlemix (Percussion Freaks 9) bootrom on it so my opportunity to hack it and put superdisc on the device is limited. When I put the PF9 bootrom into Adrian's 573 I was able to get to the bootscreen but, as expected, I couldn't install any DDR mixes on it since the PF9 bootrom cockblocks any CD-ROM that isn't PF9.

Which brings me to Chad and I's question -- I'd like to take the bootrom IC (Konami official) out of Chad's DDR 573 and see if I can use that to install DDR. Chad is willing to let me do this if he can get confirmation from the sexperts (Ho and/or MonMotha) that swapping bootroms won't completely fuck his 573 or ruin the pristine sanctity of his DDR USA. Obviously I'd swap the ICs back when I get kicked out of DBH so he'd have a fully function DDR USA 573 again. The bootrom does not hold any sort of info or memory in it, right? I could just swap the bootroms, install 5th mix or some shit on my 573, swap the bootroms back, and then plug the DDR USA 573 in and everything should work like nothing ever happened - right?

I mean, that's the way I understand it, these PCBs are made with standardized, interchangeable parts in a factory somewhere so being able to do shit like this is expected and simple.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am

Curious about this as well.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 am

Are you sure that ROM was installed correctly (correct orientation)? Also, it's possible that there was a mod board in that socket before. The mod boards often had larger pins than the original part did and would stretch out the socket to where the original ROM might not make good contact anymore. In that case, swapping another one in there might not help either.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 am

Yes, it's definitely in correctly - I cross-checked it against Chad's DDR USA 573 which has been untouched and confirmed the orientation is correct. The pins are in their sockets nice and tightly as well since I couldn't pull the IC out with my fingers and needed a flat head screwdriver to gently pry the chip out.

The main question is, would taking the bootrom out of Chad's 573 and putting it in Adrian's 573 cause any damage to Chad's 573 or render DDR USA unplayable when I eventually plug it back in after using it to install another game? Assume that nothing is physically damaged when swapping the bootroms.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 am

So, MonMotha believes that the monitor lost its settings when it got plugged into the Minimaid so whenever I plug a 573 back into it we don't get any picture since the brightness setting is turned all the way down. The problem we have now is that Chad's monitor does not have any way to adjust these settings and MonMotha will have to build a remote to let us make changes - allegedly he has done this before for Brian.

How much money would it take to get this remote to us sometime next week? (28th through the 2nd)