Welp, I bought a cabinet

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Welp, I bought a cabinet

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Would you like to get something scheduled for blasting a motherlovin' screw out of my DDR pad?

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 am

My monitor is pretty crappy, how would I go about getting a new one?

I really like the monitor in Chad's cabinet despite the fact that it's not an original monitor - what would the logistics be for getting a monitor put in my cabinet that can handle VGA? The 573 can do VGA - right?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:25 am

One thing to realize is that "VGA" means a whole lot of different stuff. It can mean the connector (HD15), the signal levels (0.7Vpp analog RGB with TTL sync), a particular resolution (640x480 progressive), just a scanrate (~31kHz horizontal, 60Hz verical), etc.

The 573 actually puts out "standard res" video, which is not "VGA" but half the scanrate of VGA. It's either 240p or 480i, whereas VGA is 480p.

Also, while the 573 has an HD15 "VGA" connector on it, it actually outputs 3.3Vpp analog RGB over that connector, as well as JAMMA, which is more typical of classic standard res arcade games. If you plug this into a monitor expecting VGA signal levels, even if the monitor can handle the lower scanrate (many multisync arcade monitors can), you'll overdrive it and get video that's way too bright, even with the contrast setting set to the minimum. Most arcade multisync monitors came with a separate input to handle these more conventional signal levels, in addition to the HD15 input that expects VGA/PC level signals.

If you do want to replace it, what you'll probably want to find is a multisync arcade monitor from the mid-2000s. Something like a Betson/Kortek KT-2914F (or DF) or Wells Gardner D9200 (but these are pieces of junk) would be popular and probably not too hard to find used. You might still be able to buy the standard res capable Makvisions new, but last I heard all they had left were the high res models that don't support standard res at all. You can check with Rick Nieman to see if he still has any left, but the freight (from Canada) won't be cheap.

You may also just be able to zap the one you have with a tube rejuvinator and get somewhat better performance out of it. Unfortunately, those things are pretty old at this point, and most operators ran them really hard.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 am

People seem to really like this monitor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-27-29-Makvi ... 19dd607311

Would this be what I need? The description makes it seem like that is what I want but I know next to nothing when it comes to monitors. How hard is it to install one of these things?

By the way, who was that contact you had for installing the RTC ram on my 573? I'd like to look into getting that taken care of. Is there a person that you know of that sells a replacement RTC?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:21 am

That's the low-res tri-mode Makvision I was talking about. Apparently they are still available. They work OK. I wouldn't call them "good", but they're about as good as you're going to get for a late model CRT arcade monitor.

I have the RTC chips and sockets. The issue is actually swapping them. It's kinda a pain.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Woo...those monitors got pricey!

I never really followed that particular model, but it seems a couple hundred higher than what I remember from the twilight of the CRT era. But then again, I'm probably just spoiled by that crazy deal you got on those one monitors.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm

They've typically gone in the ~$500 range, so this is close. There's another seller that has them at $530. Prices exclude shipping, of course.

And yes, those monitors were a crazy good deal. I should have bought a dozen.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:57 pm

That does remind me, I need to probably get my monitor fixed at some point in the future on Pump. (The more pressing issue is that my MK3 appears to given up the ghost so I have to get the MK9 in there posthaste.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:34 am

When buying for PIU, you have the advantage that PIU has always run VGA (480p), so you don't have any need to support standard res.

Of course, as you might imagine from the name, "standard res" is more common among older monitors. Late model CRT arcade monitors commonly were tri-sync, and very late ones actually wouldn't even do standard res, anymore.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Does anyone have a bunch of extra hex screws laying around that will fit in a DDR pad? Ebay has them for $65 and I'm not sure if that is a good price or if I can find a better deal elsewhere.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:54 pm

I bought a set from Anthony for $60.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:56 pm

So I guess $65 isn't too bad of a deal then, eh?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:10 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 am

Stainless steel ain't cheap...

$60-65 for an entire pad worth of screws seems reasonable assuming you're actually getting stainless steel goods.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:51 am

https://www.facebook.com/anthonyoftga/p ... 9336283499

No idea whether or not this was a good deal, but I bought it anyway!