Welp, I bought a cabinet

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Welp, I bought a cabinet

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:25 am

I asked for the seller to remove bars, marquee, and to stack the pads. Allegedly that was completed! The seller was super nice so they will get as many A++++++++++++s as I can give them

Oh yes, I plan to take lots of pictures! In fact, the plan right now is to leave everything shrink wrapped so that when I move the machine to my own house years down the road it will be easier to move so if you want to come visit Chad's you can come see it in all its unpacked glory. If MonMotha reclaims his Supernova we can move mine in as a backup. We must always have two DDR machines God damn it!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Shouldn't you test* it first?

*Inspect for damage, ect.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:10 am

Chad post the imgur gallery of my fucked up marquee so I can put in a claim!

Long story short for the curious, my cabinet arrived with no obvious scuffs but as soon as I started unwrapping the shrink wrap I see that the plastic bezel on the marquee is fucked to shreds. The fluorescent lights in the marquee are intact but the plastic and the marque itself are super torn up. I haven't actually plugged in the cabinet yet to see if the monitor or the God damn game itself boots but the marquee was definitely something that was damaged during shipping.

The cabinet was also dusty as fuck but after looking at the eBay listing again you can see that the cabinet is indeed super dusty so what I saw is what I got in this case. Marquee was definitely not busted in the eBay listing so I think this one is on STI.

How should I go about making a claim? Unfortunately I did not see the damage until after I signed the paperwork that my cabinet arrived in "used" condition. In my defense there was a blanket covering the marquee when it arrived so it was not obvious damage. Am I totally fucked? A cursory glance on ChannelBeat shows that a replacement bezel and a bootleg marquee will run about $100 before shipping so it's not like this is something that's impossible to fix.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:51 am

Just call your rep and she can walk you through the claims process. It's really not that difficult. I had to do it once. It was basically just documenting the damage and getting a reasonable repair cost. Then they just cut you a check.

Also, you can't blame STI out-of-hand like that. The machine has probably passed through more than one carrier and warehouse on its way. It's hard to say at what point and in whose custody the damage occurred.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:14 pm

I'll contact Michelle and see what I can do about putting in a claim.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Code: Select all

15:52		*** Riot joined #indyDDR
15:56	Fluffyumpkins	Riotkun
15:56	Riot	HI there
15:58	Riot	
15:58	Merk	Hey there Riot!
15:58	Merk	Good to see you
15:58	Merk	I'm glad we are a part of your internet routine when you arrive home from work
15:58	Fluffyumpkins	Want to talk about our DDR machines?
15:59	Riot	Yes please
15:59	Riot	Chad how is your marquee
15:59	Riot	Mine is in good shape
15:59	Fluffyumpkins	Legit Konami marquee.
15:59	Riot	Cool!
15:59	Fluffyumpkins	In ok shape.
15:59	Riot	Merk how about you?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:40 am

Eh, of all things to break that's pretty far down the importance list and easily replaced, too. I've seen a few machines that lack that plastic entirely - people just pull the marquee insert over the front of the box and secure with tape or similar.

If indeed it was damaged in transit, a claim should be pretty straightforward. You'll just need a full quote for the replacement part, and they should cut you a check.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Guys what if Michelle gets mad at me?!?!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 pm

She could join the Facebook group for people that are mad at Merk.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 am

Chad and I (with the great awesome help of TaQa and Mikey B.) moved the cabinet into the kitchen and, long story short, I got fucked on this cabinet.

We moved the machine in, I plugged it in, turned the power supply on the back on, and promptly saw a spark shoot out one of the lower back vents - apparently the power switch on the front of the cabinet was already turned on. There was no picture on the monitor although you can hear the hum of the monitor do its thing. Hitting the degauss button on the front of the cabinet causes the typical degauss noise to happen so I don't think the monitor is 100% totally dead but nonetheless I am not getting any picture.

I texted MonMotha and based on what information I could give him he told me that repairs to the monitor are likely necessary and that something had gotten fried. The monitor neck board had come physically detached from the monitor (during shipping I'm guessing) which is not a good thing. MonMotha suggests that it can be reattached although if you power the monitor on while the neck board is not attached to the monitor (like I did when I first turned it on) then shit goes boom.

Assuming I have to 100% replace this monitor, where do I even look for a replacement? Money is no object.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Are there any opinions out there on this? http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-par ... e-monitor/

What are the dimensions of the standard monitor used in DDR?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 am

DDR uses a 29".

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:15 am

Merk wrote:Are there any opinions out there on this? http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-par ... e-monitor/

What are the dimensions of the standard monitor used in DDR?
http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/contrib ... ID=7818281

Not a bad resource. I’d go here if I needed to know what’s up with my machine.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 am

Apparently I contributed to that guide. I don't even remember what anymore...it was almost 10 years ago!