Welp, I bought a cabinet

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Welp, I bought a cabinet

Post by Merk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:39 am

Hypothetically if I were to buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-27-29-Makvi ... 19dd607311

Would I be able to install it in my cabinet and have it work? How hard is it to install a monitor in a cabinet? It looks really, really intimidating.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:39 am

Ho wrote:Apparently I contributed to that guide. I don't even remember what anymore...it was almost 10 years ago!
Thanks Ho-Man!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:16 pm

That should work and you'd get the added benefit of a tri-sync monitor that could take a PC signal directly for Stepmania and the like. Replacing a monitor isn't terribly difficult assuming all the mounting points line up. They should...but I've had to make some adjustments/modifications. You should definitely have someone to help you as they tend to be quite heavy.

The connections probably won't be the same, but they can be made to work.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:49 am

Worst case, the tube is probably still good. You can find known working boardsets for these monitors for ~$100. I can usually repair them, but it often takes a while, and the parts can be expensive since they're not "normal" parts in the USA. About the only thing I can't easily get is the flyback, though I've never really looked. I have some of the other common parts, though I may be out of HOTs (the most common failure item).

You can go ahead and try to re-assemble it completely (make sure you get the tube ground strap connected back up to the neckboard - it looked like it was disconnected) and try it. It's very unlikely you'll break it any worse.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks guys :)

I don't want to pull any triggers on a new monitor until I know that I'm completely boned but I'm relieved that I can throw money at the problem and just get a new monitor. MonMotha do you think you can take a look at it the next time you're over? I really, really don't want to mess around with this stuff since I am just about the most careless mofo out there and I will probably electrocute myself. If you want to invoice me for your consulting time then that's fine.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:41 am

Brian fixed my monitor last week, forgot to post that! Big thanks to Brian. Basically plugging the neck board back in fixed it and now the monitor is more or less working.

I got the pads moved in yesterday and they are in really, really bad shape. I'm going to have to check out and probably replace most of the sensors on the 1P side and I get absolutely no signal from the 2P side. I checked and the little connector that connects the 2P side to the 1P is nice and secure, is there anything else I can check or did I basically buy a DDR solo?

Also, I get a message every time the machine boots up saying something to the effect of "RAM has been wiped, please press test button and redo game settings." I have to go in a set free play and I'm guessing I'd have to put the unlock code in each time as well -- is there anything I can do to fix this?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 am

The battery is probably dead. Most of them are at this point. It serves pretty much the same function as the battery on your PC motherboard (storing settings while it's powered down). Without it, you're going to lose your settings every time you turn it off. These System 573s are all over 10 years old at this point, so it's to be expected.

The battery is, unfortunately, not at all easy to replace as it is integrated with the device that it is powering and that's soldered to the board. So, you're probably just going to have to live with it this way. Mine doesn't save its settings anymore either. Although, I don't think I get an error on boot. That may have to do with the particular bootleg installed on your unit.

As for the stage, I can think of a few things that could be causing 2P side not to be working, but it would take looking at it to figure it out. It's probably as simple as a loose/disconnected/broken wire. There are a lot of connections besides the one that connects the two halves together.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 am

Maaaaaaaaaan so any Oni high scores will be deleted and all unlock codes have to be put in each time? Sighhhhhhhhhhhh....

I have a few spare 573s laying around so I may try swapping it out.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 am

It's not all that likely that any of them will have a good battery. They're all over 10 years old at this point. I don't know anyone that has one that's still working. If you do manage to find one that's working, it probably won't for a whole lot longer.

It could be worse...much worse. There are some games that won't play at all when the battery dies. Even worse than that, there are games that will never play again if the battery dies (even if you replace the battery).

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:20 am

I have a fancy tool that should make it easy enough to replace those RTCs, now. I also have the sockets and replacement chips on-hand. Let me know if you'd like it replaced.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 am

I would like it replaced! How much money can I throw at you to replace the RTC?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:16 am

I'm going to need to do an overhaul of the pad sensors and replace all 32 of them. Where is the best place to get some DDR sensors? Betson oddly enough says that they are out of stock on their website!

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_ ... parts.html

I found this but I have no idea how sketchy this place is or the quality of the sensors. Buying this shit is like living in the wild west, you have no idea what you're going to get and if you get fucked then good luck trying to get your money back from a shady business that operates out of some basement in Hong Kong!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 am

Did you try actually calling Betson? They may be able to give you an estimate when they'll have more or their website could be wrong. On the other hand, they may not be bothering to carry those anymore since X and X2 are "current" for them and those machines don't use the same sensors.

The problem with a lot of the Chinese suppliers is that they sell whatever they can get--which is not necessarily the same thing all the time. So even if someone on here said that they got something good from arcadespareparts, that doesn't mean you're going to get the same thing--especially if a lot of time has elapsed.

You're probably right about getting after-sale service from an overseas distributor. Although you might be surprised. I can think of at least one time I ordered something from China, didn't get it after a month or so, wrote them, and they sent another free of charge. So, I wouldn't write the entire country off as being disreputable.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 am

I can't call people because I am afraid of other human beings and I need to hide behind a keyboard in order to talk to people... :(

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 am

Merk wrote:I can't call people because I am afraid of other human beings and I need to hide behind a keyboard in order to talk to people... :(
Lordy.