[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Really excited for the inevitable collapse of my weed stock portfolio! Look at the stock ticker for CGC, it's chart is basically a vertical wall over the last few weeks on virtually nothing but hype. I don't know how the eff people can trade stocks, it seems like it's all guessing and hedging your bets and just praying that one of your horses in the race performs way above expectations and you cash out before it all goes to shit.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:40 pm

Day trading is basically gambling. You're looking for "advantage" over the house that's inherent in the "game" and trying to exploit it, then you leave the table when you no longer have "advantage".

Buy and hold is a whole different ballgame. You're not going to get the kind of crazy returns you can day trading, but you also are unlikely to see the crazy losses you can day trading unless your strategy resembles day trading with a longer time horizon (that's super dumb).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 am

How does retirement funding work when you're self-employed on contract work? Do you have some sort of IRA that you dump money into every month or do you have "a guy" that you invest X amount of money every so often and they manage it for you?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:05 am

Well, you have to essentially set up everything yourself, but the same retirement vehicles are available to you that are available to any other company to set up.

The simplest is to have a personal IRA (ROTH or Traditional) and then have your company provide either an SEP or SIMPLE IRA if/when the contribution limits of the personal IRA become a problem.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:07 am

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:20 pm

so It's not just me who's been getting BOMBARDED on youtube with norm macdonald video recommendations? I hadn't heard about the guy since the early 2000's, then bam this last month it's every other video on youtube
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 am

He has a new show that comes out today or tomorrow on Netflix so I'm guessing someone paid a lot of money to Youtube to shill and recommend Norm MacDonald videos because our national GDP is like 80% ads or something ridiculous welcome to TYOOL 2018

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:52 am

Riot tell me about your weird back issues. I've been having this weird pain in my upper back lately that seems to shift around every other day. It started in my neck and it's slowly moved to my upper right back near the spine. Advil helps keep it manageable, weed helps but it's still noticeable even when I get stoned as fuck. Just ordered a posture corrector brace thingy to see if that helps since I spend about 16 hours a day staring at some sort of screen and I imagine my body is not a fan of that!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:29 pm

It's kinda like a dull always-there pain in my lower back that makes me always feel like I need to crack it or stretch it out and move. Meg always gets mad cuz I'm always fidgeting and can't stay still, and even sitting in one position upright kinda makes it lock into place. The same thing happens with my fingers though when I hold on to something for a minute or so - my finger bones seem to lock into place and it is uncomfortable/hurts to "unlock" em. I guess that's arthritis? iunno.

But yeah, I wouldn't say my back "hurts" in the traditional sharp pain sense, just that there is always an uncomfortable feeling in my lower right that I feel like I need to crack. I usually need to lay down to be comfortable, and even then I like to have a pillow between my legs or something. I've dealt with it for like 12 years at this point... I guess I should probably just go to a chiropractor, but I hear they are quacks.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Chiropractors are literally a scam. Do not go to one. They're fake doctors with a good marketing team. I could literally call myself a chiropractor tomorrow there is no oversight and every success story is palliative confirmation bias. Would you go to one of those ancient Chinese secret foot acupuncture places in the mall to fix your back? No? Then why the fuck would you go to a chiropractor, they are no different other than the fact that they have different marketing.

They're like sommeliers! All a complete scam.

Change my mind. Fight me. Someone on here please give me some anecdotal evidence that the chiropractor that scammed them out of their precious money actually permanently fixed someone's scoliosis or some nonsense like that.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 am

Yeah that's what I always hear but then who do I go to that's on my insurance? A physical therapist or something?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:06 am

I'm sure you're all familiar with very niec joke:

what do you call alternative medicine that works?
medicine

very few people know joke pt2

what do you call a chiropractor that actually went to medical school and doesn't try to sell you chinese herbs?
a physical therapist

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 am

lol ayyyy good jokes, good jokes

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:09 am

IndyDDR, I love you. You'll always have a special place in my heart.