Re: WTB: Drum Mania cabinet

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Wings you igmo.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Excuse me I don't eat Pterodactyl you plebeian.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm

I can imagine pterodactyl is pretty delicious if you are a velociraptor or some such.

On a side note, I had a ridiculous fear of velociraptors for a few weeks after seeing Jurassic Park for the first time when I was 11 or 12 years old. They came back to haunt me after playing the "Jurassic Park Interactive" video game for the 3DO.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:56 am

Blah, the bass pedal is going to need an overhaul. I have to really raise my foot off the pedal before it will register and there is literally no way I can do stuff like the bass pattern in Funky Sonic World [ADV/EXT] with the way things are now. Hell I was having trouble with that long version Orange Lounge song and that just has a short little 8th note bass rhythm at 178 BPM.

1+ 2 + 3 + 4 +

^^ Bolded notes are the rhythm. I can't do it without expunging a shload of effort in taking my foot off the pedal real quick so the pedal can reset and allow me to hit the 8ths.

I know I suck at the game, but there's no way it should take that much effort.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 am

I feel your pain. My bass pedal works fairly well, if not a little clanky sounding, but it's still nothing compared to using a real pedal on the DTX kit. Bass rhythms were much more effortless on that than any DM machine I've played on. The bass pedal design and the hi-hat placement are pretty much the two things that keep the DM cabinet from being perfect...or at least keeping it from recreating a natural set feeling (or what I would imagine one to be).

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 am

I'm going to have to agree with you Brian. I noticed while I was working on songs with patterns that require you to cross your arms yesterday that the hi-hat in relation to the snare is just in a really weird position. I feel like the hi-hat needs to be more back to the left to prevent yourself from smacking your sticks together and getting tangled up.

I'm sure with time and muscle memory I'll get used to it but it's really unnatural.

What all did you and Brandon have to do to get your bass pedal to the point where it is right now? I can't remember what it felt like when I played on it but I'm sure it had to be better than what I got going on right now.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Merk wrote:What all did you and Brandon have to do to get your bass pedal to the point where it is right now? I can't remember what it felt like when I played on it but I'm sure it had to be better than what I got going on right now.
What I did involved a Dremel, a whole bunch of new screws, and about 4-6 hours. I think Brian then replaced the return spring.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Can one not buy a new part?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:27 pm

The whole pedal assembly? Sure...in Japan, Hong Kong, or Korea (the only markets in which the game technically exists). I'm sure it'll also be terribly over-priced.

You might be able to find a used assembly stateside, but they tend to be paired up with, you know, whole machines.

It's not terribly difficult to recondition the pedal assemblies; it just takes some time and patience. Most of the work with the dremel was slotting screws that had their heads stripped out and brushing off rust with a wire brush attachment.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:21 pm

MonMotha wrote:The whole pedal assembly? Sure...in Japan, Hong Kong, or Korea (the only markets in which the game technically exists). I'm sure it'll also be terribly over-priced.

You might be able to find a used assembly stateside, but they tend to be paired up with, you know, whole machines.

It's not terribly difficult to recondition the pedal assemblies; it just takes some time and patience. Most of the work with the dremel was slotting screws that had their heads stripped out and brushing off rust with a wire brush attachment.
Ah. Not as bad as I thought. I didn't know if the bass pedal unit was something that was standard on a DTX. Shows how much I know about DM.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:35 pm

Unfortunately, one of the things that differs between a DTX and DM is the pedal. The DTX one is a lot better for actually playing drums, but the DM one is probably quite a bit more rugged in an arcade environment.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:06 am

Well, the DTXpress kits don't come with a pedal at all. You actually use a "real" pedal that you buy separately so that you can get/use whatever you, as a drummer, like. :) The pedal mates up to it as though it were a normal drum and the hammer strikes the pad.

This is making me want to get my DTXpress kit out...