Wondering where people stand on Hori VS Mad Catz....

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Wondering where people stand on Hori VS Mad Catz....

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:00 pm

This is a continuation of the fightstick posts as I consider these to be the two biggest companies at this point for that market. I want to know people's experiences with each (please mention models as some have different specs) company and what they prefer to use.

My history was starting with a Hori EX3, cheap entry level for the 360, but good timing. The second fightstick was the Mad Catz TE Round 2 for the 360, which had some good parts, but was VERY underwhelming on timing. I tried out the Xbox One Mad Catz tournament edition sticks and the timing felt better than the last one, but still not great. As mentioned recently, I just got a Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for PS3/PS4 and honestly, this is the best non-custom fightstick I've played on thus far. What's everybody else's experiences?
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Wondering where people stand on Hori VS Mad Catz....

Post by Riot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Guessing most of us have only used Tournament Edition sticks. I've never noticed any problems with my TE1s or TE2. I don't really have any loyalty, but I heard that the buttons on some of the Hori sticks get a bit stuck sometimes. I forget the name of the buttons - Kuro or something? I dunno. But yeah will probably get a PS4 compatible stick, whatever the best is at the time SF5 gets closer to release.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:09 am

Guessing most of us have only used Tournament Edition sticks.
Yeeeeeep. I like mine, I can do shoryukens on it.

What do you mean by "timing"? -- Do you mean like controller lag? I didn't know that was a thing outside of using a converter (like a PS2 -> USB converter for Beet) or something.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:40 am

Merk wrote:
Guessing most of us have only used Tournament Edition sticks.
Yeeeeeep. I like mine, I can do shoryukens on it.

What do you mean by "timing"? -- Do you mean like controller lag? I didn't know that was a thing outside of using a converter (like a PS2 -> USB converter for Beet) or something.
Indeed I do. Also, I recently found http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/overview.html which is a great look into what level of controller lag is acceptable and unacceptable for 60 fps games. Sadly, this is a thing for some cheaper boards and was one motivator for going Hori as their gear has rarely had a large enough input window to where there would be a frame delay.

Potentially, I would like to use a PS360+ as a secondary pcb in the same vein that a MC Cthulhu is used, but I haven't seen any info on how to make this happen quite yet. (One reason for this is that PS360+ does not have true PS4 support.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:59 am

hehe. Unfortunately I have since been blocked by Amp so we cannot see what comment he posted back in 2009 about SSF4! I hope you enjoy SF5 more!