Post items you have for sale or are looking to buy
**Read the rules announcement in this forum before participating**

Moderator: Moderators

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

WTB: DDR Extreme Arcade Machine

Post by BenMadsen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:48 pm

Hey there. Used to be a really active DDR member around the Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana parts (you may remember me as "InsaneMidget"). Looking to fulfill a dream of mine and purchase a DDR machine.

I'm specifically looking for a DDR Extreme machine, and don't really have any interest in any other mix. I'm willing to pay a higher amount for a high quality machine. I have been trying for almost two weeks to get into the "Buying/Selling Rhythm Games" group on facebook, but an admin has to let you into the group and apparently they never, ever check the waitlists for group applicants. If anyone knows any of the people in charge of the group, giving them a nudge would be tremendously helpful.

Anyways, 100% willing to negotiate price and everything, but just getting my name and interest out there.

I'm located in Lexington, KY.

Thanks! You all rule.

EDIT: Found one, thanks all!
Last edited by BenMadsen on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Re: WTB: DDR Extreme Arcade Machine

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:35 am

I pretty much got in that group the same day I asked to join. There's some drama about people posting Craigslist listings though so they might just want to figure that out first before letting anyone else in. Or maybe they just have no idea who you are.

There's no known Extremes in the area except for private machines. Tilt may have a 573 with Extreme installed either in the SN2 cabinet (it used to be an Extreme so they may have left the 573 in with the Python 2) or in storage. Chances are good though that it was thrown out or sent to another arcade.

Anyway, I would check Ebay and Craigslist (do a global search).

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:15 am

If you're willing to ship it, basically just trawl eBay and various private forums. You're bound to eventually find something in your price range. Do be aware that, while machines can be had for $1000 or even less these days, machines in good condition needing minimal re-work or having been (properly) rehabbed still command prices closer to or even north of $2000.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:06 am

I used to be pretty well known in the community, so if the ad mins are who I think they are they should remember me. I've even had a few friends request to add me and still nothing.

If you all are in it and would not mind messaging the ad mins I would be extremely grateful.

I've got about $3000 saved up for a machine and shipping, so I should have no problem affording one. I just want to buy one in good condition from someone I can trust. I've reached out to several of the people selling machines on ebay but none of them have responded.

Thank you for your posts and insight!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:17 pm

I put a Stepmania PC in my machine, and have a DDR Extreme 573 laying around. Might be willing to sell it if you find a machine but it doesn't have Extreme mix.

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:09 pm

I actually don't know very much about machine functionality. I've heard the term "573" thrown around when referencing a machine, but I don't know anything about it. That's why I saved up enough to just buy one in complete and great condition so I don't have to piece together parts.

This Facebook group is killing me, haha.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Konami has a thing for the number 573. You'll see it appear all over the place in their games. It's a bit of a joke. You can combine various eras of pronunciation of the numbers, 5, 7, and 3 in Japanese and fudge it around a bit to get something that sounds very much like "Konami".

In this context, 573 is referring to the "System 573" arcade system. It was a workhorse for Konami in the mid-late 90s and is based on the Sony Playstation. DDR ran on a somewhat adapted/modified version of it through Extreme. Thus, a "573 running Extreme" refers to a complete System 573 system running DDR Extreme.

The cabinet itself has about three main boxes of electronics in it plus the monitor and some stuff down in each stage half. One box is basically just a bunch of power supplies. Another is a box containing some audio amplifiers and some electronics to handle all the lights. The third is the System 573 that hooks up to everything to receive input from the pads and buttons, signal when the lights should be on/off, send video out to the monitor, and make noise. They're all somewhat modular insofar as you can unplug a bunch of plugs and replace them individually. The System 573 is generally the most finicky part, mostly due to the CD-ROM drive, and therefore the most frequently replaced or serviced
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:40 am

Looks like you made it into the group. IIRC, you were pretty good back in the day. Lots of AAAs and tournament wins.

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:10 am

Yeah, I finally did. I made a Facebook account for myself instead of my business and got in instantly. I guess they thought I was spam (even though I messaged all of the admins, but oh well).

Thank you, I remember your username as well. I AAA'd all of Extreme but didn't play other mixes. I split a lot of tournaments with Kevin back in our prime, yeah. Good times!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:34 am

You seem like a well-articulated good guy so I wish you the best of luck on your search.

What's your opinion on.... uh..... Chris Buckler?

What was the hardest song for you to AAA on Extreme?

Do you think that DDR has enriched your life? Do you have any regrets about playing DDR?

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:15 am

Well thank you. I actually found and purchased one earlier for $1100. Looking into shipping options now. I've been recommended to use U-Ship but I am finding nothing but horror stories about them online. Bad feeling about that company.

I haven't seen Chris Buckler in probably 5 years, and I never knew him too well. He was always really friendly though, but hung out with a ddr crowd I wasn't a part of.

Hardest song was my last, Maxx Unlimited. Hardest non-10 was Burning Heat. I also had a lot of trouble with Tsugaru. I'm nowhere near as in shape as I used to be, but I feel like my timing is better than it used to be. It'll be interesting to see what I can get again.

I love DDR and I'd say it did have a mostly positive impact on my life. I'm glad I got out of it when I did though so I could focus on college and getting married and such. I was always afraid it was too big a part of me. Now I feel like it can be what I think it was meant to be, a fun hobby and exercise combination.

The best part of the experience were the people I've met. Most of my best friends I met through the scene, and I'm still close to them today. People in the scene are generally very intelligent and helpful. I found tremendous help finding a machine in the Facebook buying/selling group.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:00 am

I would recommend STI, though it's been some time since I worked with them. I don't have any recent contacts, though I think Ho may have at least someone who you might be able to call. They will not be the cheapest option, but they will get it to you in one piece (or you pay to repair/fix in the unlikely event they do break it) and even deliver it inside for you (no stairs unless you pay extra) and in a reasonable amount of time (about a week or so for cross-country). The customer service is very good, and they'll handle all the crazy paperwork for you (ever filled out a bill of lading?). They handle all the packing, etc., though they won't disassemble it. No pallet or loading docks needed, though you do pay extra for the lift-gate service.

Looks like they're part of CRST now but still operating semi-independently: http://www.stidelivers.com/

Uship is a crap shoot. It's basically a reverse auction site. Sometimes you get a great deal, and somebody who knows what they're doing will offer to do it cheap using excess capacity. Sometimes you get screwed, and some fly-by-night operator who has no idea what they're doing moving this kind of equipment or, even worse, doesn't even understand the requirements at all and e.g. shows up without a lift gate.
A normality test:
+++ATH

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 am

I just applied for a quote from them.

Still no bids on my U-Ship. Though from further researching it, it looks like you can see feedback and such from a mover before accepting their bid. Hopefully someone trustworthy offers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:54 pm

I used STI and used the woman that Ho recommended and it was smooth sailing (her name was Michelle Bianchi, though this was 4 years ago so no clue if she's still there). I guess Brian used her for some of his games and she is used to arcade shipping. The delivery guys just kinda got it off the truck and wheeled it into the garage and that was it, so don't expect help getting inside or with assembly or anything like that. Maybe that was just my experience (MonMotha may have had different experiences).

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:11 pm

BFC offered to put the machine on pallets, so that should make loading it onto the truck much easier with a liftgate. Assuming they just drop it off on my driveway, I'll have some work to do to get it to my basement. The easiest route to my basement is outside from my driveway. There are about five steps to the fence, then flat ground the rest of the way. Do you think that if the delivery people get the machine off of the truck for me that I'll be able to get it carried down 5 stairs and into a doorway with several people helping me'?