Girls of IndyDDR

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Fri May 19, 2006 11:33 am

malictus wrote:
Ho wrote:I think you, like several others, have missed the point of this calendar entirely.

How many times and in how many ways can I say this?! Let's try one more...

This is a creative project to take some fun and unique pictures that are themed to this community and these games.

THIS IS NOT INDYDDR GIRLS GONE WILD!
Just playing devil's advocate here a bit: by specifying that only females will be featured in the calendar, aren't you already implying something about the purpose of the calendar? Why only feature girls? I know that I personally would not buy a calendar featuring a bunch of 16-20 year old girls, regardless of any implied sexuality in the poses. Still, I wouldn't have a problem with using it for fund raising activities; it just creeps me out.... a little.
Of course, this was only installment 1 of a 2 installment series. Of course there would be a "Manly men of IndyDDR" calender in the works later :-P

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 19, 2006 12:18 pm

malictus wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here a bit: by specifying that only females will be featured in the calendar, aren't you already implying something about the purpose of the calendar? Why only feature girls?
You bring up an excellent point of discussion. I was kind of wondering when someone might ask this very question.

My purpose for the models, if you will, was to add personality and something (in this case, people) uniquely IndyDDR to this project. But why feature only girls? The answer is that I was expecting to have to run this project, and frankly...I just wasn't really motivated to want to take a bunch of pictures of guys. :P

Also, in my opinion, I think that females just make for more aesthetically pleasing photographs when the subject matter is otherwise gender-independent. I really wasn't intentionally implying anything about the "purpose" of the calendar, but I can certainly understand how one might construe a purpose based on societal expectations.
malictus wrote:I know that I personally would not buy a calendar featuring a bunch of 16-20 year old girls, regardless of any implied sexuality in the poses.
Neither you nor I really fits the general IndyDDR demographic. ;)

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Fri May 19, 2006 1:05 pm

Well, now this could turn into just a generally called "IndyDDR calendar."

For guys (and girls)... well, how about this? Why not, in general, nothing to tease or nothing sexual... this thing is supposed to be "PG-13" right?

Sooo... if it to be about music/rhythm games, how about we all (those who are serious) submit pictures of themselves, whether guys or girls, not necessarily focusing on the person or the game... maybe moreso the game then or the musical aspect of the picture. Somebody could be freestyling on a DDR/ITG/PIU machine and snap a picture. Get something in the middle of all the action. Get a little blur in there, but keep the game the main aspect. You know? Something like that.

Maybe this calendar should turn into a general IndyDDR calendar that just features members of IndyDDR playing BeMani/music games in action. Good?

On a side note, it wasn't fair to criticize the fact that it was only girls in the first place. Had it started off the other way, just "Guys of IndyDDR" I would have (being a girl... or maybe another girl, too) would have asked why not girls, too? It might seem sexist, but Ho's posts have points.

Ho beat me to it...
Ho wrote:
Mr. Worm wrote: I'm not really that creative. I just know what the public wants. I'm more of a critic.
No, you know what you want, and you may critique the idea from your own point of view all you like. The public is another matter. Many have (and I suspect will continue to) weigh in on both sides. I'm not expecting a consensus...just opening up the idea for discussion.
I said it in my first post to you, Mr. Worm, anyway, that only you know what you want. I said "Hopefully, you meant to speak for yourself, because then that's fine." But don't speak for other people. There probably are people who may have the same view as you, but if they really wanted to, they'd post themselves and agree. Or just not say anything at all... say it anonymously, too... on the poll I made.

Don't come in with your hard look like you own the place. Thanks.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 pm

you know, you could always do group shots....
insert code compile execute return

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 19, 2006 1:24 pm

the gattchoon wrote:Maybe this calendar should turn into a general IndyDDR calendar that just features members of IndyDDR playing BeMani/music games in action. Good?
Thanks for your continued contribution to this project. I appreciate you trying to keep ideas flowing and things moving along. However, this particular suggestion--while not a bad idea--is actually the opposite of what I had in mind.

The way I see it, the Photo Archive has thousands (literally!) of pictures of us playing these games. So I was really hoping for more unique imagery and something fresh and different from the usual gameplay pictures.
sam wrote:you know, you could always do group shots....
Yes indeed! I'm certainly open to group shots, and this could also be useful in the event that the calendar format holds and I don't actually get 12 different models.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Fri May 19, 2006 2:21 pm

I'd do sexy poses in the group shots... I won't let the man bring me down!

I think you're going to have to go with this because I can't even think of 12 girls on indyddr off the top of my head
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 pm

Ho wrote:But why feature only girls? The answer is that I was expecting to have to run this project, and frankly...I just wasn't really motivated to want to take a bunch of pictures of guys. :P
I do think it seems somewhat restrictive to limit it to women, but I've heard similar sentiments from many photographers (that they find such subjects aesthetically preferable).

That said, I don't personally share those sentiments, so I would be more than interested in creating a male counterpart to this calendar. (Er, a counterpart containing guys... bah, you know what I mean.)

Of course, my previous photographic projects have been limited to non-human subjects, so this might have interesting results...

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 19, 2006 3:59 pm

Arka wrote:That said, I don't personally share those sentiments, so I would be more than interested in creating a male counterpart to this calendar. (Er, a counterpart containing guys... bah, you know what I mean.)
Go ahead and have at it!

My only request would be that you please consult me on the usage of the IndyDDR name and especially any brand elements like the logo. This would apply to anyone wanting to produce a product that they wanted to have included under the IndyDDR "umbrella."

I don't mean to be a "brand nazi," but I would like to retain some control over its usage so as not to tarnish its overall reputation. Plus, as a graphic designer, I would insist that the reproduction of brand elements be high quality. For instance, I'd hate to see some product come out with a nasty, low-res web graphic of the logo stretched or crushed into an incorrect aspect ratio. That kind of thing makes me cringe!

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Fri May 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Ho wrote:I think you, like several others, have missed the point of this calendar entirely.

How many times and in how many ways can I say this?! Let's try one more...

This is a creative project to take some fun and unique pictures that are themed to this community and these games.

THIS IS NOT INDYDDR GIRLS GONE WILD! :roll:
I realize that. But what exactly do you mean by "fun and unique" pictures?

Pictures of players in action is hardly unique...and if I really wanted to, I could go to the photo archive, download a bunch of them, and print out my own calendar.

So, now you're reduced to shots of girls posing.
Ho wrote:Also, in my opinion, I think that females just make for more aesthetically pleasing photographs when the subject matter is otherwise gender-independent. I really wasn't intentionally implying anything about the "purpose" of the calendar, but I can certainly understand how one might construe a purpose based on societal expectations.
So, how exactly are you going to bring out these aesthetics? Are the girls just going to be standing there? No. They'll be in some sort of pose, most likely seductive.
the gattchoon wrote: Ho beat me to it...
Ho wrote:
Mr. Worm wrote: I'm not really that creative. I just know what the public wants. I'm more of a critic.
No, you know what you want, and you may critique the idea from your own point of view all you like. The public is another matter. Many have (and I suspect will continue to) weigh in on both sides. I'm not expecting a consensus...just opening up the idea for discussion.
I said it in my first post to you, Mr. Worm, anyway, that only you know what you want. I said "Hopefully, you meant to speak for yourself, because then that's fine." But don't speak for other people. There probably are people who may have the same view as you, but if they really wanted to, they'd post themselves and agree. Or just not say anything at all... say it anonymously, too... on the poll I made.

Don't come in with your hard look like you own the place. Thanks.
I've talked with at least 10 other people about this, and all but one think it's a bad idea. The one who said it was a good idea is a pervert.

And I'm not attempting to act like I own the place. I left this community a while back for a reason: this community is extremely bigotted toward differing opinions. If it doesn't flow with the IndyDDR clique, then it's not the right opinion.
The only reason I came back was because I heard of the evil that is the Girls of IndyDDR Calendar.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 19, 2006 4:57 pm

Mr. Worm wrote:Pictures of players in action is hardly unique...and if I really wanted to, I could go to the photo archive, download a bunch of them, and print out my own calendar.

So, now you're reduced to shots of girls posing.

So, how exactly are you going to bring out these aesthetics? Are the girls just going to be standing there? No. They'll be in some sort of pose, most likely seductive.
Have you even read this thread? If you haven't figured this out from the numerous descriptions AND examples already in this thread, I really don't know what else to tell you.

What you describe is exactly what I've been saying this IS NOT intended to be all along. And the examples that have been given are hardly seductive...unless you are prudish to an extreme.

As for your "10 other people," I'm suspecting you asked friends or people you know...i.e. people likely to share your opinion. And that's fine.
Mr. Worm wrote:The only reason I came back was because I heard of the evil that is the Girls of IndyDDR Calendar.
With a statement like that, you've obviously made up your mind regardless of what I or anyone else may say. I am content to leave it at that. Your points have been noted, but the only thing I can definitively conclude from them is: This project is not for you.
Last edited by Ho on Fri May 19, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:07 pm

I think I may have come up with a solution to please everybody. How about we get a ton of pics (Ho started to say something like this earlier) and for every month, we have like a big 3x4 (or more) collection of pictures in the top? Or maybe, not even a grid, but more of a collage. I believe this would be more successful in capturing just the mood and atmosphere of DDR rather than things like a certain person's appearance, or the weirdness about strangers. And maybe, for each month, there could be some kind of theme for all the pictures? Okay, maybe that would be a little much, but still. And I'm sure we could find plenty of pictures for any theme (Ho has thousands, plus we could take some more newer ones).
So what do you guys think?

-Dan

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 19, 2006 5:15 pm

I was really thinking of photos that were so striking or clever that you might even consider them art. I mean, the point is that you would want to display this on your wall like you might want to hang a poster (and have the utility of a calendar to boot!).

I really want to capture a main or central image that would be of this quality. If I'm doing it right, it would be the kind of thing in a room that would draw your attention to it and perhaps evoke some sort of a response or comment. If I had one of these on my wall and someone came in, looked at it, and said, "Whoa....cool!" I'd feel like I accomplished what I set out to do.

Collages tend to get kind of busy and you kind of have to examine them to see all of what's going on. I'm aiming for simpler imagery that conveys more basic themes. I have some more ideas in my head right now. I'll see if I can take get some more test shots going.

I do appreciate yours and everyone else's input, but there are some things that I am not likely to compromise on because I do have a specific vision for this project. I realize I'm not going to please everyone and I don't expect to.

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Fri May 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Well, you can't please everyone.

But anyway, in light of dance1005... about a collage, if the calendar isn't such a big hit, you can always make a one-page calendar (all 12 months on the same page) and put a collage on that. A nice, creative collage. My dad used to make one-page calendars with his logo in the middle since he's a graphic artist. =) Those, no doubt, would be cheaper, simpler, and easier.

Or... change the image in the middle to something more simple and have different one-page calendars with different pictures in the middle so people have a choice of which one they think would look better on their wall. But I don't know how tedious that would be to produce.

Anyway... hmm... I know you, Ho, want something "unique." But somehow, I feel that someone in action playing a music game could be unique. I just have to find a way to show you somehow... meh. But I know what you mean.

And regarding Mr. Worm... just because a girl poses doesn't mean it's seductive. And plus, it's really seductive if the girl is showing a large amount of skin, on purpose, and posing in a suggestive manner. I can be fully clothed in pants and a long sleeve shirt, maybe even baggy (anyone remember Shorty from Bust-A-Groove? Awww!) and pose for the camera by just standing there, sitting down and holding out a peace sign. I can do it in short sleeve and shorts, too. Is that seductive? I don't think so.

And your complaining about bigoted differing opinions? Please. You have somewhat of a bigoted viewpoint yourself, Mr.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri May 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Ho wrote:
Arka wrote:That said, I don't personally share those sentiments, so I would be more than interested in creating a male counterpart to this calendar. (Er, a counterpart containing guys... bah, you know what I mean.)
Go ahead and have at it!

My only request would be that you please consult me on the usage of the IndyDDR name and especially any brand elements like the logo. This would apply to anyone wanting to produce a product that they wanted to have included under the IndyDDR "umbrella."

I don't mean to be a "brand nazi," but I would like to retain some control over its usage so as not to tarnish its overall reputation. Plus, as a graphic designer, I would insist that the reproduction of brand elements be high quality. For instance, I'd hate to see some product come out with a nasty, low-res web graphic of the logo stretched or crushed into an incorrect aspect ratio. That kind of thing makes me cringe!
Completely understood. Would *anyone* attribute a creative work to a site or group without seeking permission from the nominal head?

No, I guess there are some people who would. Hrm.

Of course, sadly, reality would probably require that I pass the project off shortly after the "oh-it's-a-bunch-of-photos-of-guys-in-amusing-and/or-stylish-poses" phase, since I've never done my own pre-print layout for... anything. Wow. I feel suddenly deficient. But everyone needs to learn sometime, right?

First things first: I need to come up with more ideas.
Mr. Worm wrote:So, how exactly are you going to bring out these aesthetics? Are the girls just going to be standing there? No. They'll be in some sort of pose, most likely seductive.
*What* is that girl doing? Oh... oh my god... can it be? She *is*! She's *smiling*! Smiling and holding a GuitarFreaks controller! That's disgusting, Ho! Put her back under her veil this instant!

Are girls really only capable of seductive poses? Why not funny or impressive poses? Plenty of the ideas that have run through my mind for a male analogue to Ho's original concept could be just as easily portrayed by women as by men.

Remember, even if *you're* only capable of seeing women as sex objects, not all people have that problem. I, for one, sure don't. 8)

[/vicious]

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Fri May 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Ho....Im coming to your house...and we're gonna get some test shots so everybody will have a better idea of what you're thinking. Im sure Lissa woudl love to join us!!

...that sounded dirty.... :wink:

Anyway, Mr. Worm if you left the community...they stay gone. If you arent apart of the community anymore, then why would we care about the opinion that someone not in the community (ie a person who wouldnt even have the chance to buy the calender.)

ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image